Beverage Costs: Another Soapbox Moment

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't tolerate city water either...:eek: I'm the worst kind of customer in a restaurant. I order water w/lemon and add some Stevia. Free lemonade! I refuse to pay nearly $3 for a glass of ice tea.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is a sugar addict. I'm working on cutting it out but he can't handle it, lol. He's all about eating food we grow/raise but has a serious sweet tooth as well.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm a sugarholic too. I try to keep it to a minimum, but I pretty much quit baking cakes because of it lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Re: sugar cravings, I've noticed that increasing my fiber intake changes how much I want sugar. There's some complex microbiome stuff about fiber nurturing a bacteria or something that helps control blood sugar? I was reading medical journals again.... :gig Don't recall the details, but I decided more fiber would be good for me. I notice when I move away from high fiber diet because then I'm going from one sugar fix to the next.

Maybe try that for those wanting to get away from sugar but feeling stuck. I'm curious if others have similar or different experiences.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just about wish I had an adult beverage right about now...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses , I could still post some good desserts- like the Death By Chocolate Cheesecake, with 5.22 net grams of carbs per slice, and the keto Nutella with 3 grams per 2 Tbsp... but I'm still experimenting with sweeteners. Stevia is great, but has a licorice-type aftertaste that can be objectionable in some application. Erithritol (Swerve) is pretty good, but it's not really natural. I just found one I'm going to try that is primarily chicory root and orange peel.

I found an old recipe for Amaretto that used peach pits for the almond flavor (apparently the cyanide within the pits is either neutralized in the process, or else is such a small amount that it's harmless?) I should try to find the recipe again *sigh*

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I totally agree with you! I think soda is one of the most unhealthy things you can put in your body. I have a huge insulated cup that I bring to work with me every day. It has water in it 95% of the time, but lately I've been adding a little green tea and some lemon juice. Gives it a little more flavor and some anti-oxidants too. I sweeten it with stevia.

We have several lemon trees that we harvest lemons from every fall. When we can't use all the lemons we juice them and feeze it in ice cube trays. After it's frozen we place the cubes in Ziploc bags for the freezer. I plop one of those into a glass of water quite often. It's refreshing and delish! Also, a slice or two of cucumber is great in a glass of ice water.

Most of the time when my grand children are thirsty - they want water. When they eat at a restaurant - they get water. It's actually their preference!