Bimpnottin's Journal - OFG: Bacon scarf

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
What kind of washer do you have? My fabric softener dispenser is in the center on top of the agitator and will actually pull completely off so I can take it to the sink to clean it out....hubby has a very bad habit of getting the detergent in there.
It's a Kenmore. I'm going to have to check that out, because it's still full of blue glitter. Miraculously, no glitter has gotten on any of the clothes when we had to do a load of clothes. Makes me wonder what else "I Don't Know" has shoved in there that I didn't notice. The blue glitter was a little hard to miss.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Little bits of this and that. Otherwise known as random thoughts. :)

1. Ok, the fabric softener dispenser does not come out, at least easily. So, we've been washing laundry and the blut glitter is not coming out on the clothes. For right now, it stays.

2. I canned about 350 apples yesterday. Wow, that sounds SOOOOO much better than saying I only got 7 quarts and 7 pints of pickled crabapples done. :lol: I still have a full colander and another tray full of crabapples. Considering I started with a 5-gallon pail full - that's a lot of stinking crabapples. :ep I seriously have 3 empty canning jars left in the house. I have already emptied every jar that I can from the fridge. I started to feed the kids canned stuff at lunch, instead of cutting up fresh apples. Yeah, just need to go get more jars... :(

3. My sister has been visiting from VA. I haven't seen her in almost 2 years. It's amazing how much we get along now versus when we were teenages. We fought like cats and dogs. No, it was WAY worse than that, because our cats and dogs get along. We fought like teenaged girls - we were mean! Episodes of throwing glasses (mine), hair-pulling (both of us), anything nasty we could do to each other, if we got in the mood. We spent the day together, with the kids on Friday. I have to take her back to the airport today. :hit I think we're both going to at least have the sniffles when we get to the airport.

4. Had a great evening with the neighbors last night, because my parents decided to not invite us over for the family dinner with my sister. Yeah, I know, but whatever. We still had a very good night with the neighbors. We made pudgy pies with homemade pizza sauce, cheese, and venison sausage. We also did ham and cheese. :drool Then, later we did blueberry or peach pie filling with cream cheese. YUM! and we did smores. Only downside of the evening was that since the two ER visits in the last few weeks, my husband won't let the kids be kids. It's don't run, don't goof off, sit still! So, I finally told him off and he stormed in the house. For crying out loud, the moon was bright, the weather was beautiful, and we have a yard light.

5. Poor dog has diarrhea. But she's been really good, even though it might mean whining at the door until we figure it out. No accidents. So, after 1 1/2 days of that and finally realizing what is going on, she's getting her food cut back today and going to give her a bland diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger and 1/3 white rice with some yogurt. Unless some of you great people have any other suggestions??????

ETA: Got her a smoked bone from the local butcher shop on Friday - which I think is what triggered her diarrhea. She ate the whole darn thing in less than two hours. She is such a chewer.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What a beautiful day! It hit 80 here today! This afternoon, we took the kids to the local pumpkin patch and for $30 we had face painting, corn maze, tractor ride, snacks, petting zoo, haunted granary, pictures, and pumpkins. What a great afternoon! It was a great way to spend the day before our anniversary.

And now that I bought some more jars, I'm back to canning apples tomorrow.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah I would say your poor pup has a tummy ache. Maybe a reaction to something on the bone. Especially if shes not used to it.

Canning 350 apples definitely sounds better. ;)

Your visit with Sis sounds nice. I still really don't visit with the two closest to me in age. Not real friendly, but I have a sis 12 years older than me. We get along great.

I am on the hunt for canning flats. I know some places sell them in a bulk sleeve but I cant seem to find them. The trick with jars to to look for them in the off season. I would always check my craigslist. Well until my last buy of over 300 jars. :hide

good luck,

g

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'd give her cooked rice with chicken and perhaps a little imodium. You can look at the dosages on the box and cut down how much by weight.
I'd keep an eye on her in case she got the bone stuck inside somewhere, watch for vomiting and suddenly not doing okay.

She might have gotten into something too rich (maybe the bone?) could be the reason why she has diarrhea. Stress, change in food and too much fats are common causes. Too much food probably would not cause diarrhea, just too much poop! You can generally feed a lot less of an expensive dog food than a cheap one, so they really do not cost that much more.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I'd give her cooked rice with chicken and perhaps a little imodium. You can look at the dosages on the box and cut down how much by weight.
I'd keep an eye on her in case she got the bone stuck inside somewhere, watch for vomiting and suddenly not doing okay.

She might have gotten into something too rich (maybe the bone?) could be the reason why she has diarrhea. Stress, change in food and too much fats are common causes. Too much food probably would not cause diarrhea, just too much poop! You can generally feed a lot less of an expensive dog food than a cheap one, so they really do not cost that much more.
Good to know on the imodium - wasn't sure if I could give that to her, but I'll go give it to her. You guys are the greatest.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Another thing to try is canned pumpkin....that helps regulate them too, whether they are having diarrhea or constipated.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Another thing to try is canned pumpkin....that helps regulate them too, whether they are having diarrhea or constipated.
What about home-cooked pumpkin? I don't have any canned.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I don't see why not. The canned pumpkin is kind of a puree, so if you could perhaps mash your pumpkin into that consistency.

Pumpkin is a binding fiber kind of food, so it helps both dogs and cats be more regular. In the boarding kennel, dogs with chronic problems would often have a dollop of pumpkin in their dinner as a regular course. It is inexpensive and they enjoy it usually.

I would think home grown pumpkin could only be more healthy.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, Pup is all better. Rice diet (and immodium) must have helped.

Another 7 quarts of pickled crabapples done yesterday. Cooked the rest of them in water, so I can make jelly. I need to do that jelly and the wild grape jelly tomorrow.

Today, 3YO and I went over my Mom and Dad's house to help them start working on apple cider. Dad has about 35 5-gallon buckets of various types of apples in the garage. Mixing types definitely makes a better cider. We cut up 4 buckets worth and then ground them through a brand new garbage disposal that Dad set up in a board to really grind the apples finely. Then, put them through the hydraulic press. I wish I had taken a picture of the dry pancake we ended up with. In years past, 4 buckets of apples would have given us about 1 1/2 gallons of cider. After running it throug the garbage disposal and then the press, we ended up with almost 4 gallons of cider from 4 buckets. Way better output, but more work.

I'll try to get pictures downloaded later.