Birch Syrup

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just did a quick search for trees that can be tapped for syrup and I've got one! Who knew you could tap a sycamore tree? I might just have to try it next year and see if I can produce a teaspoon of syrup, lol.

I wonder why you can tap hickory and black walnuts but I couldn't find any info on tapping a pecan. There are pecan trees all around me.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy cannoli - you can make pine syrup. I've got 5 pines in my back yard! You don't actually tap the trees, you use the tips of branches or something .. I need to do more research, even though I'm having trouble imagining the taste...

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard that when looking to buy land look for sycamore trees because if they are present then there is water in the ground.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmm.... That's really interesting. My goats love pine trees! I guess I would try it, I only have about 80 millin pine trees!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry I was out for awhile. I had medical I needed to tend to. I've never heard of Hickory Syrup maybe that is something I should look into seeing how I think there's a lot of Hickory trees on the property I live on.