Black Garlic

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That looks and sounds very interesting. How would you use it though? Add it to meals as you would normal garlic?
Did the exact thing. ate it with porkchops sliced tomatoes and chilies. lunch feels very healthy.. you really got to try this.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Almost complete yesterday took the garlic out of rice cooker after 9 days on warm. I had the rice cooker in my detached garage during fermentation, the garlic smell gets very very very strong. For maximum flavor I've read to air dry for another 7 days ( my next step ) . When complete you can store them in mason jars for 6 mths in fridge. I've read that black garlic is a great anti oxidant. Black Garlic has a smokey molasses kind of taste.
View attachment 8126 Clean Cured Garlic
View attachment 8127 Rice cooker
View attachment 8128 Black Garlic ready to air dry
I used it in my grilled pork. That was extremely satisfying... I would never go back to normal garlic ever again.. That is the most exquisite dinner I've ever served... Thank you for the Idea...

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sumi my DW loves it in salads it has a sweet taste it doesn't taste like traditional garlic at all.
There are many recipes on line here is just a sample http://blackgarlic.com/category/category/recipes.
The thing that intrigues me about black garlic is the health benefits. Ive read that helps fight cancer to regulate blood sugar and thinning hair to ED :idunno now im not sure all that's true however it does have twice the antioxidants of white garlic and more allicin.
Tried it in my vegetable salad, and It really adds that difference.. It is sweet and not really garlicky... but it adds compliment.. Very nice.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@YourRabbitGirl - how did you make yours? Did you use a rice cooker like the OP? I tried it, but my rice cooker wont stay on constantly - it shut itself off after several hours and wouldn't keep the temperature up.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i wonder how the flavor compares to fermented black beans i've had in some recipes. i like them, but don't use them very often as i'm the only one here who'd eat them. i'm still working my way through the container of green chili paste i bought about 7yrs ago... getting there - one cup of hot chocolate at a time... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@YourRabbitGirl - how did you make yours? Did you use a rice cooker like the OP? I tried it, but my rice cooker wont stay on constantly - it shut itself off after several hours and wouldn't keep the temperature up.

i'm not sure what the temperature required is as i've not looked it up, but perhaps a plant starting heating mat would work? ages ago when i had a big computer monitor i could use the heat it gave off to ferment yogurt. it weighed 70-80lbs and took up half the table. now i can pick up this monitor with two fingers and i have extra room on the table for more other things... (beans and boxes :) )...

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Almost complete yesterday took the garlic out of rice cooker after 9 days on warm. I had the rice cooker in my detached garage during fermentation, the garlic smell gets very very very strong. For maximum flavor I've read to air dry for another 7 days ( my next step ) . When complete you can store them in mason jars for 6 mths in fridge. I've read that black garlic is a great anti oxidant. Black Garlic has a smokey molasses kind of taste.
View attachment 8126 Clean Cured Garlic
View attachment 8127 Rice cooker
View attachment 8128 Black Garlic ready to air dry
the molasses back taste, Actually compliments it. Have you tried this on grilled fish. Its the best with onion and apple cider vinegar.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You might be my new hero!! I can't get garlic to grow for me...

what happens? here we have a lot of clay so i raise up the areas where i plant the garlic by mounding up the dirt. otherwise i am usually planting the garlic in pretty fertile soil that has been amended with worms/worm castings and some organic matter the year before. i don't usually plant garlic into freshly amended soil other than the random bits of organic material that might still be in there from the previous year. i always rotate plant.

if it gets too dry during the spring or early summer i'll water it, but generally i don't do much else to it other than weed it. i plant it far enough apart so that the bulbs are not competing with each other for water or nutrients, plus it is easier to weed if there is enough space between the plants. i don't bother removing scapes.

the variety of garlic i grow is a hard-neck garlic and the largest cloves will get bigger than my thumbs across. not all cloves are that big, but enough are that those are what i use to replant (always using the largest cloves gives you bigger bulbs the next season).

i also used to plant extra cloves for green garlic as i really like that as a green onion substitute and it is easier for us to grow. just haven't gotten to it the past several years being too busy with other things that time of the year (projects)...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
what happens?
I dunno, lol. Actually, back when I wrote that was about 18 months ago. I had planted it in the spring which turned to summer pretty quickly and my guess was that it just couldn't take the heat? It grew pretty well fall of that year and I've got some going now that looks great. I also changed locations and am growing it in raised beds now instead of the clay soil. Maybe several of the changes helped out. Fingers crossed for a good upcoming harvest!

Latest posts