Booker81's Journal...Backward Steps again...favorite healing tips?

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BACON!

Heh, what I know about bugs is the bad things, mainly about growing foodborne pathogens, nice things like L. mono does grow well in the fridge, E. coli happens (but O157:H7 is the one to watch for), and Pseudomona aeruginosa smells like grapes.

I can also make a wicked Christmas tree on an EMB plate. Handy stuff!

I'll have to wait for my newbieness to wear off so I can post pics, but hubby got me a sweet smoker in exchange for some tree work (he's a line clearance tree trimmer and also does tree work for folks on the side). I've made goose jerky, smoked turkey, smoked summer sausage, brisket, ribs and a few other random things on it, but I want BACON. I might have to hit up the local store's butcher for a belly, now that I think of it, they are pretty good about getting me weird things. I love sausage making, and they've gotten used to my requests for casings and random animal fat. I love my smoker.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
:welcome Booker!!

Scr8pn, have you posted your rub for the bacon? You don't brine it? Details man details!!!!! :D
NO BRINE!! Just my rub and all natural smoke from cherry wood.
Sorry but the rub recipe is a heavily guarded secret, and if I tell ya, I'd have to kill ya. :gig

You have a PM miss......... :D

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
booker81 said:
I love my smoker.
I understand completely the attachment to a smoker. :D :D

394355839.jpg

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
booker81 said:
I love my smoker.
I understand completely the attachment to a smoker. :D :D
Beautiful!!!

Mine's a New Braunfels Black Diamond, older, but in fantastic shape. The guy probably used it once. It's a horse to move though.

That was a great tree job on hubby's part - the guy didn't have cash, so we got the smoker, a couple chainsaws, a TON of canning jars, and a rolling toolshelf thing. We like to barter :)

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Picture time! :D

First, hubby and I, back in the dating days. We used to go to the bar a lot, dance a lot, have a lot of fun. Now we go to bed around 8pm.

2926_terryme1.jpg

My shiny and clean smoker. It's making wild goose jerky in this pic.
2926_smoker.jpg

Some canning. I like making pretty pictures, and the colors were cool.

2926_canning.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:woot

SKR8PN, I just might have to show the pic of your smoker set up to my DH. I think he'd like that. We have one that's a combo gas grill, charcoal grill, smoker that we got in TSC.

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So not quite this forum, but wine makes me happy and full of sharing, and I can't post on FB because my manager etc are friends there, and I'm not sure they want to know.

My almost-SIL is teaching an online course in SQL, and I signed up for it. There's a bunch more courses for free as well.

I think I want to be a programmer in my work life. That way I can make more money for my real life!

I like wine.

I like my workplace too...I've already qualified for programming positions with their analytical test, and it's a good place to move around, they don't pigeon hole folks. I think I can get into programming, especially if I get my learnin' on and go!

Wine is good. I better eat soon!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yay! look how fun you are! and look at all your canning! great work!

:)

and um... we are all about drinkin' here.. and Free has a thread about making wine and there is a mead thread around here somewhere

:)