Booker81's Journal...Backward Steps again...favorite healing tips?

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Now that I'm more coherent, I wanna post the "recipe" for that dish o' stuff in the oven. It got a "this is really good!" from hubby, so apparently it should be pretty good to most meat and potatoes folk who don't do "new". He'll choke down anything I make, but the compliments are only save for things he'll eat again.

It was initally a recipe for "pork chops and pears", but I only have pork steaks, no pears, and no orange juice it called for. Plus, I can't leave well enough alone, so I had to tweak.

Pork Steaks and Mushrooms and Apples
4 pork steaks (boneless)
3 good apples (I had McIntosh in the house, from a case of such my brother gave me) sliced in thin pieces
1 can of sliced mushrooms, drained
~1tsp of cinnamon
~1/4 cup brown sugar
~1/4 cup red wine (or any other flavory liquid - juice, broth? I used some Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon LOL!)
oil for browning the chops
~1Tbs cornstarch in ~2Tbs water (to thicken)
Salt and Pepper to taste (I used garlic salt and coarse ground pepper)

Brown up the steaks in the oil, and place in a casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper. Dump the apples and mushrooms all over the steaks. Sprinkle the cinnamon and brown sugar on top. Drizzle the wine all over the whole thing, cover and stick in the oven at 350 for about 30 mins, then uncover and leave in oven for about 10 more mins, until pork is done.

Drain off juices into a small pot, add cornstarch and water, stir and bring to a boil for gravy. Serve the chops with the mushrooms and apples on top, and top the whole shebang with gravy.

I wish I had taken a pic of it plated out, but I didn't, so here's a closer "clean oven" pic with it :)

2926_imag1270.jpg

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So, I'm hoping to clean out the kitchen today. I am definately not a FlyLady follower, as you can see.

I've at least gotten the stove and one corner clean...getting there!

Here's the disaster in all it's glory....

2926_imag1272.jpg

2926_imag1273.jpg

The clean oven and corner:
2926_imag1274.jpg

I can do it!!!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think your kitchen is cozy and lovely just like it is. I wish my computer area was in the kitchen like that......maybe I wouldn't burn so many things! :D

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yup, it's really handy, especially since I can zoom my browser and make recipes REALLY big so I can see them from the stove. I just would like to reclaim my counterspace from all the papers and junk!

I also want to reorganize that shelf thing with it's plywood glory under the microwave - I have all my cooking stuff in there, and can NEVER find anything quickly. I think I might get storage bins and put my sugar/flour/etc in those, so I can get rid of the plywood :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Compared to my kitchen, yours is clean! I almost had it clean when I got sick. So of course, it got all messed up again. Oh well. There's always another day.

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Clean!

2926_cleankitchen.jpg

I also got my seed order done and written out.

Only casualty of the day were eggs. Egg-cicles. The chickens are still doing fine, thank ye gods for a heated waterer, but we didn't go out over and over through the day to collect, so most of them froze :( Got 3 good eggs.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
:woot Looks very cosy and organized. My kitchen is not quite a mirror image of yours but I don't have the L shaped work surface. We ended up having to convert an old closet into a pantry for all of our larger staples, and it still isn't big enough!

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I also love all the "fancy" nice stuff we have - the nice fridge - hubby got on trade for tree work. The nice glass top stove (which I DEMANDED to have, after starting weekly fires on the coil top) - $50 on Craigslist.

You can't tell, but the food processor on the fridge is held together with duct tape. I split the side of it years ago, but duct tape holds all.

I have all the canned goods and the taters and onions in the back room, hubby built me a ginormous table/shelving thing to put them on/in.