Booker81's Journal...Backward Steps again...favorite healing tips?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Enjoy that stage while you can. Next thing you know, she'll be all grown up and you'll be wondering where that cute little girl went. :(

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Awww Deb, you can bet on that!

Well, planning out how I'm going to do the pig thing. I was thinking of running them in the shed, near the chickens, but then, the idea of chicken eating pigs isn't tops on my list, and I'd rather avoid any eating of the chickens, unless it's me.

So, I thought about it. I was going to run the chickens in the garden, but was debating a way to keep the hawks out (they've already gotten one chicken when I let them range).

Then it came to me. Put the PIGS in the garden! I'll have to fence off the end with my strawberries, asparagus and baby trees (thank you Arbor Foundation for the twiglets - they are starting to resemble something like a baby tree finally!). Then, I could run more fencing behind, and move the pigs back during the growing season, and then reopen it back up to them once the season is done. It's still fairly close to my neighbor, but is set back (they had goats, pigs and cows, so no worries). I'll ask if he will throw apples to them when they start falling, last year he was all a dither on how to deal with the windfalls since the DNR is rabid about the whole no deer baiting. Feed em to my piggies! (They of course will get free pork after butcher time).

So this is the plan...

2926_property.jpg

The giant heap of stuff is from when we ripped a room off the house and rebuilt it. That's now burned and gone. You can see I have an issue with straight lines and squared edges....

ETA: That gives the piggies a permanent 30x30 pen, and when they have the garden a 30x70 pen.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
superduper! and yep pick up all the apples for the pigs! whooot!

also:

(thank you Arbor Foundation for the twiglets - they are starting to resemble something like a baby tree finally!).
ah yes. i fell for that one too. i was so mad i didnt even bother planting them! ha! but i felt good about contributing to their organization

:)

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah...that was an O RLY? when I got them. They sure weren't going to go on the property border like I thought, so I put them in the garden. Child stomped one, but the rest have made it, some are about 3' tall now. Maybe in another 2-3 years I'll transplant them to where I want them, but they live by the asparagus now (which has a tendency to grow about 6' tall when I let it go to seed :D Asparagus trees!!!

The garden fencing is landscape timber posts sunk about 3 feet, and the 2x3 livestock fencing with chicken wire on bottom. I'll run electric on the inside, and then just extend the fencing the same for the pigs, put a gate or temp fencing with electric at the garden fence. Make them a hut, and ready to go!

Of course, this time I'll do all the post digging. When we made the garden fencing, DH borrowed a ginormous gas post hole drill thing. I had the old fashioned post hole digger - the one where you have two handles and just lift, drop, pick up the dirt, and repeat. He started with the drill thing. I started with the posthole digger. He drilled down. Drill got stuck. He tapped the gas to try to and drill slow and pull up. It went deeper. Tried again. And again. All of a sudden I hear it going full bore - it drilled down far enough that it hit the handles and was pushing the gas all the way down. He hit the kill switch. He ended up having to dig the WHOLE thing out with a shovel - left a nice 6' deep hole. He filled it in and set the post :)

In that time, I manage to dig ALL of the rest of the holes, by hand.

This time, I'll just do it myself :)

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I want to bake something today. Hmmmmm....

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hey SKR8PN, I just showed my DH the pic of your smoker set up. He likes it.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
There are awesome smokers all over this thread!

Welcome, Booker.....I seem to always be late to the party. I don't have pigs but I'm still part of the club because I DO like bacon.

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bacon! Speaking of which, I need to call around for bellies.

I've accomplished something so far....I've cleaned the stove.

Might not sound like much, but I don't think it's ever been REALLY cleaned since I got it - and I got it used, and it wasn't clean then. I did the whole self clean (aka bake itself to death) last week, and now I've scrubbed the dickens out of the thing. It's pretty now :)

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My clean oven :)

2926_imag1268.jpg

Any of course, to join on the fun, my eventual slothiness. I did get the oven cleaned, and then took a nap. Woke up with a headache (no fumes from the oven, just used a scrubbie, dish soap and hot water).

2926_imag1271.jpg