Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those snakes just slide under the hen & consume the eggs!! As posted earlier -- one got 2 of my eggs only 2 days before hatch:somad He's a dead rat snake!!! Plenty of mice, why those eggs???

Love the pics. I see them on moms back...I have one group who does that a lot. So cute to watch them interplay. Bet the hen with the ducklings is beside herself near the water.:D The ducks thinks she's strange to scratch so much, too.

Hope your two still nesting get to hatch -- without snakes!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well my coop has rats and therefore rat snakes. I do lose eggs but none about to hatch. I killed one snake but decide to let them stay in hopes they get rid of the rats. I even have at least one rat snake in my garage. I threatened the Wildbunches life if they killed anymore snakes. I'm get tire of seeing and hearing those scurrying little rodents. One was actually bigger than our chihuahua! I hope we can move soon.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I even have at least one rat snake in my garage. I threatened the Wildbunches life if they killed anymore snakes. I'm get tire of seeing and hearing those scurrying little rodents. One was actually bigger than our chihuahua! I hope we can move soon.

WOW -- NOT in my garage, nope!

Where do you live that you have so many large rats? Are you near water or grain storage, etc? I have way more mice than I want but, just can't do snakes. Can't. Ones I have killed (3 now in 1 to 1.5 yrs -- 2 in barn & 1 in coop) have all been about 4.5-5.5 foot. All rat snakes but, I hate them!!!!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we had seeious rat issues last year but I haven't seen any this year. Which is really odd. I've even seen spilled grain left alone overnight. We have thick brushy woods, a stream, and a really nasty, poorly kept pig farm just through the woods. Also relatively close to a racetrack where there was a major rat infestation. Let's just say, for whatever reason it may be, I'm happy to not be seeing rats this year.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just read all the posts. I wish I had a broody hen!! @goatgurl do your dogs go after snakes? Paris, our female GP hates snakes and kills every one she finds. We had a rat/mouse problem, but between Just One Bite, Terminix, and rat snakes, it seems to be under control for now. Rats and mice were getting in the house, we were happy to pay Terrminix to crawl under the house and seal everything up. I'll do a lot of things, but I ain't crawling under the house! Nope! No way.

I love the hen/chick pictures. Ya'll are awesome!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok, so, I'm fairly new to broodies. Have had chickens for years but they've never gone broody. One of my hens hatched out 2 chicks earlier this summer (only 1 made it). Anyway, she has since hatched out another gang of 4. And she takes care of the babies and the older one. And I swear, the older baby babysits the little ones. She'll take off with them, or half of them, while mom is elsewhere sometimes. Is this normal? Strangest thing I've ever seen! Lol kinda cute though!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My EEs and wheaten ameraucana have been pretty friendly birds. Except for the odd colored EEs I got one year. The biggest issue I've had with them is that they will pluck and eat each others feathers if their food protein drops below 20 percent. They do like their space and to roam.

So my dorking roo is currently living with a dorking hen, 3 EE's and 2 White Orpingtons. Looks like someone is ripping out his tail feathers. I'll have DH pick him up and check him out more closely later.... Anyway, I'm thinking either my big roo got him through the fence or my EE's have the same issue as yours. I'm glad I vaguely remembered you posting this! I honestly am not thrilled about having to feed them 20% protein, especially in winter feed amounts, it's $ 4 more a bag, and they're not a breed I'm overly attached to.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We hit sales when we can and take advantage of discounts the stores give. Just got Flockraiser for $14 a bag during a sale. The better food definitely runs more at regular prices.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We feed the turkeys 20% and it usually costs $16/50 lbs. Sometimes a little more. Feed store doesn't do sales, lol.