Bubblingbrooks Journey - Salut!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Yup, I think a cochin does make a good feather duster!

I can't believe the damage that moose did to your car. It is amazing that you only got those minor injuries. I am glad you are doing better.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We were lucky enough to have an unfinished basement growing up and that was where the woodstove was....the heat drifted up the stairs and we didn't have the ash issue. Once every spring we just swept out the basement and called it a day. Ours was a big flat top one too so we always kept a big pot of water on it and even cooked on it in a pinch.

I miss that stove... :/

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Christians are not under the Mosaic Law (more than the ten commandments, there are about 660 laws and statutes) since it was fulfilled by Christ and "nailed to the torture stake" when he died. It was a tutor or teacher leading to Christ, but is now done away with.

This does not mean we can now murder and steal. Love of neighbor and love of God means we won't do these things. However, to observe that Law means such things as performing animal sacrifice and traveling to Jerusalem each year for certain festivals. It include brother-in-law marriage. It includes dietary restrictions. It even includes a prohibition against fabrics made with two types of fibers! Christians are not under this law.

Certain things were discussed by the apostles in the first century while they were figuring this out and praying on it, reviewing the available scripture and the teachings of Jesus. Circumcision is an example, (no, Christians are not required to be circumcised, although the Law required it), but the prohibition against eating things strangled (not thoroughly bled) and against using blood was reiterated for Christians. There are more examples, but these are the ones that come to mind readily.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Everything we as Christians do not do according to Jewish "guidelines or Law" is things of the flesh. The things of the spirit carry on beyond the law. I think Jesus came to do away with the Guidelines, or laws dealing with fleshly things. Just my opinion, but from observation of the differences it sure seems that way to me. Jesus is the spiritual aspect of God's deliverance. Sure, to not eat pork may be good for your body, or to not wear clothing of more than one fiber etc. etc. but this body is going to die anyway. So I conclude that the spiritual aspect holds greater value, and the rest, coupled with the blood of Christ, is no longer necessary. The animal sacrifices were for our sins, now Jesus is to take those sins away. If he takes the sins away, why would we still be required to sacrifice for the same purpose? Peter was told to "rise and eat" even the things which he believed through Jewish law to be "unclean." Paul was also told to minister to people, the "unclean" Gentiles specifically. Maybe that is why the change? Otherwise, we as Gentiles, would not be eligible for salvation to begin with. Something had to change. I think the coming of Jesus changed that.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
*raises hand* OH OH I GET IT NOW!! :lol:

I looked it up the word Torah, means guidance, law, instruction, teachings, etc. etc. so either would work just fine.

Here's something to ponder though...if the Law/Torah is the teaching(Paul even referred to it as our tutor) that preludes the Christ, then wouldn't that make Jesus is the answers to the test? I think so :D

Okay well maybe you don't agree, but that's how it hit me when I read that just now ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The "Law" referred to includes not only the ten commandments but also all the other laws and statutes given to the Jews through Moses. The law was impossible to keep by imperfect humans, and it emphasized to them the need for a Savior and was a reminder of imperfect human sinfulness. In contrast, Jesus kept the law perfectly while on earth as a faithful Jewish man, since he was perfect.

Once Jesus died as a sacrifice for all our sins, he fulfilled the Law and the Prophets and there was no longer need for such things as animal sacrifice.

Some of the other laws were for cleanliness and health in a time when bacteria and viruses were not clearly understood.

Some laws, such as not making cloth with two types of fibers and not breeding different species of animals (think mules) was to remind the Jews to keep separate from the surrounding nations that did not worship the true God.

But they were all part of the Law and were all to be kept by the faithful Jews, and Jesus' disciples....until his death. There was some controversy about that in the first century, hence the discussion and the decisions handed down to the various congregations, primarily through Paul's letters.

All Christians do well to understand ancient Jewish history, because that is also Christian history. An understanding of the Law, although we are not under it, helps us to understand the writings of the apostles and to understand what God expects from us today. There are many principles to follow, even though we CAN use mules and wear clothing of mixed fibers and eat pork! Thank goodness! BACON!! :drool