Bubblingbrooks Journey - Salut!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's possible that the problem you are having with American wines is, once again, the American phobia about germs. They go overboard on the sulfites to sterilize everything. DH gets migraines from American bubbly, but the Spanish sparkling wines don't do that to him. I remember visiting Ibiza ( an island off the coast of Barcelona-- part of the same chain of islands as Majorca)-- you could bring your own empty bottle in to the local 'farmacia' where they had these big tuns of red and white wine on the wall and fill your bottle from them. A typical bottle size came out to about 35 american cents at the time (1985). It was not a "great wine", but a very drinkable table wine nevertheless. No one was worried about germs, since they knew the alcohol would take care of that.

I also noticed when I toured some of the famous breweries in Europe, like Heineken and Carlsberg, the beer tasted much better than the same beers in the US. When I questioned them about this, they explained that in order to be allowed to export the beer to the US, they have to put all kinds of germ-killing agents in it and basically 'kill' the beer.

If you have never tried any Eastern European wines, I highly recommend the wines of Romania and Hungary. Trakia in particular makes a Merlot that is divine.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Stupid American stuff! No loyalty from me when it comes to wine, from now on!
LOL! That is exactly what I was thinking: There is one thing I will NOT buy American, then. :gig

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
britesea very good point!
i know beer from the uk tastes alot different than the same brand thats been sent to the US...people htink im crazy but now that makes sooo much more sense!

BB, yay for carrot harvest!
fall is my favorite time of the year!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Love the pics, BBrooks! Thos blackish scovies are the same I have. Excellent carott harvest as well!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tell them ducks that's all the water they get today so they better keep it clean! :lol: My ducks were so funny during the hurricane. When it was raining hard and blowing trees down the ducks were having a blast rooting and playing in the rain....silly piggies! :p