Cannabis as medicine for real, anyone?

Reaction score
Lately here in Co. , I have seen some ads on Craigslist for some really high quality cannibis. Huge purple buds with 13% THC. They are selling it with a script. I've also seen a few growing systems for sale.

Strange times.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I see those all the time here in CA. It seems that hydroponics are the rage. I prefer mother natures way. I cannot imagine that artificial lights and fertilizers added (even if organic) can be as good. Especially when you are taking medicine.
We have several "clubs" around here and you an sell your surplus and people can buy. But it is strictly regulated. You have to have a script, they don't even like someone to sit in the parking lot without one.
But I think it is great that we have it. This way when someone is diagnosed with cancer and gets a doctors "prescription" I.e. license, they can go and buy what they need under controlled and safe circumstances, from people who know about the product and what is good for what. And the cannabis is still way cheaper, safer and more effective than the presciption medication for extreme nausea!!!

Reaction score
I agree. You never know what people have put on it. About 30 years ago I shared a smoke with a co worker and it tasted funny. Turned out he had sprinkled it with PCP. I had to get a friend to drive me home and I called my boss and told him I got sick at lunch. That was the worse drug I've ever been exposed to.

AdamSmith

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Really i t will be true that cannabis is used as a medicine. most of the people using cannabis legally as medical purposes . it cures the skin cancer, breast cancer and so many...............

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
While I do believe it can be used a treatment in those conditions, it isn't a cure. Yes it increases appetite, reduces pain, etc... but smoking dope (or eating it) isn't going to kill cancer cells. Let's be realistic.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol:

I guess we would be seeing all the gals/guys that walk 60 miles for the cure for breast cancer high as a kite, skipping along with food wagon trucks feeding them along the way. Call Cancer Centers for America, they need to close down today! :)

My gosh I despise stupid statements like that !!

UGH well with one post on the board and to this thread, yea my imagination doesn't need to run far about this poster :gig

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Marijuana is not a bad drug. It is heavily misused. The effects are brain fog, but for ADHD and ADD and or epilepsy etc. it could be very useful. Most of the effects are calmness and drowziness and mild physical "numbness"...it would be great used for insomniacs, autistic people, mental health patients, etc. etc. At a point in my life when I was under tremendous stress it kept me calm and focused. I have used it and have a great memory so it does not affect memory as much as people may think. The issue with legalizing is it would be taking a recreational drug and making it easily accessible to idiots that will take it every chance they get for any reason they deem worthy of getting high....just like with alcohol. That is the danger in legalizing marijuana. It has many medical miracle potentials, but it also has very disturbing ramifications for it's usage in the wrong hands. People shouldn't drive while using. Some people DO in fact have fits of rage under the influence of this drug...it is a systemic allergic reaction to it. I have seen this myself. One of my friends could not take it due to this side effect. SO...while I agree totally that it has medicinal qualities of various levels of potential with different diseases and conditions....I think legalizing would be stupid. There would be no way to control it's usage and every nut job in society would have access to it...both those who would use it responsibly, and those who would not. Back when I used..I used it for a reason, and it worked. When I no longer needed it, I put it away and haven't touched any since. It is not addictive physically...your body does not over time develop a requirement for THC in your system. The "addiction" to marijuana is all in a persons mind. So, depending on your definition of addiction....it can be considered so, but I do not consider it addictive myself. :hu There are pros and cons to almost every drug we use....most of the cons are the type of folks using for the wrong reasons.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Didn't realize when I started reading this that is was an OLD thread, and it was revived today with ... a very eloquent post by a brand-new member?

I read a bit, didn't have time to read it all.

If I am not mistaken, drug companies MUST extract something, change it, synthesize it, or whatever in order to patent it. Without patents, they can't charge the $$ and make profit. Drug companies (in the US) won't be marketing pure herbs.

So what you get as far as "medicinal marijuana" isn't going to be a plant that you can do with as you please. If my understanding of the drug industry is right. They are in it for the money .... believe ME they are in it for the money!!! And there's no BIG money in unadulterated herbs.

I can't say much about it. My mother died of cancer some years ago. She was given the THC pills (whatever the proper name for them is supposed to be) before she died. She would rarely take them. (She had glaucoma too, and I think had already been prescribed some for that.) She had ongoing nausea for the last half-year of her life, and was in tremendous pain. For whatever reason, she didn't take the pills. (I suspect they did not work for her, or at least not to the level she hoped ... she was a medical professional, and had nothing against pharmaceuticals at all.)

I would have concerns about simply legalizing it for anyone to do with as they please. It's true, even if it IS illegal and were impossible to find, the people out there who are going to misuse it will find other ways to do so. The REAL problem to address would be why people do that in the first place, but that's a HUGE social problem including people who abuse all SORTS of things, not only drugs and alcohol but compulsive gamblers/shoppers/overeaters, and those who become "addicted" to a wide variety of things.

At the same time, I'm not going to pass judgment myself on anyone who finds it helpful and has a way to acquire it for external use or whatever. I wouldn't be reporting someone I knew who did that. I would hope they wouldn't make it widely known, though, so as not to invite people who may crave it for other reasons. (And I'm not saying the OP would do that, just talking in generalities here.)

I have a problem with pain meds myself. NOTHING works for me, as far as alleviating pain. It often does make me nauseated, or I can feel my normal mental function being impaired (and I HATE that feeling!!!). But nothing much touches pain. I have had to rely on massage, essential oils, and better yet identifying the cause of the pain and preventing it.

I once had some extensive procedures done and the doctor was writing me pain prescriptions, I told him not to bother ... the first one he suggested I am deathly allergic to. He suggested something stronger, and I said, no, that's ok, I won't be filling it anyway. The man thought I was actually hoping for him to write STRONGER prescriptions and got suspicious of me, but honestly, I don't take anything for pain since it only makes me vomit or foggy-headed and does nothing to help me feel better.

So I am not one to condemn someone else for what works. But I am not in favor of general legalization either. I've seen too many things happen over the years, and I have to say when I ask myself if I would want my child to start using it, the answer is no, I would be heartbroken.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Just like alcohol, anyone can get it. What people put into their bodies is there business. Sure as heck not the government at any level. There's no need to legalize it for general use. It's readily available.

Medicinal marijuana is nothing more than very highly quality marijuana usually grown from clones. The clones can be legally purchased if you have a license. They make cooking oil and all sorts of food items in controlled quantities. If smoked there are no carcinogenics as with tobacco. It is truly a product of Mother Nature that has been used by many cultures for centuries to control pain and induce spiritual release.

Lately they have studies showing that it does alleviate the spread of some types of cancer. Of course, as with any science there is always someone out there to rebut others findings. There's an awfully lot of money out there lobbying against marijuana.

It's weird that something as incredibly dangerous and damaging as alcohol is legal, while marijuana is not.