Cannabis as medicine for real, anyone?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Just like alcohol, anyone can get it. What people put into their bodies is there business. Sure as heck not the government at any level... It's weird that something as incredibly dangerous and damaging as alcohol is legal, while marijuana is not.
:thumbsup

Study the history of pot in the US some time. VERY interesting.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of the things I noticed when I was nursing and when Daddy was dying of cancer is that even when the treatments were helping to kill the cancer they were destroying the appetite and causing so much pain that the patient would die mostly from running out of energy to keep fighting. I do so wish there had been some medical marijuana to help my Dad when he simply could not eat because of the nausea and pain. The doctors were all very hopeful when his treatment began but he lost too much weight too fast and couldn't fight off the secondary illnesses.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
Just like alcohol, anyone can get it. What people put into their bodies is there business. Sure as heck not the government at any level. There's no need to legalize it for general use. It's readily available.

Medicinal marijuana is nothing more than very highly quality marijuana usually grown from clones. The clones can be legally purchased if you have a license. They make cooking oil and all sorts of food items in controlled quantities. If smoked there are no carcinogenics as with tobacco. It is truly a product of Mother Nature that has been used by many cultures for centuries to control pain and induce spiritual release.

Lately they have studies showing that it does alleviate the spread of some types of cancer. Of course, as with any science there is always someone out there to rebut others findings. There's an awfully lot of money out there lobbying against marijuana.

It's weird that something as incredibly dangerous and damaging as alcohol is legal, while marijuana is not.
Uh, no. http://www.drugabuse.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

Effects on the Lungs
Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke.

But, not surprisely, on www.marijuana.com that information is disputed only as they claim those carcinogens don't cause cancer, not that don't exist in MJ smoke.

So who to believe?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
But, not surprisely, on www.marijuana.com that information is disputed only as they claim those carcinogens don't cause cancer, not that don't exist in MJ smoke.
Ummmm .....

carcinogen
   /kɑrˈsɪnədʒən, -ˌdʒɛn, ˈkɑrsənəˌdʒɛn, -noʊ-/ [kahr-sin-uh-juhn, -jen, kahr-suh-nuh-jen, -noh-]
noun
any substance or agent that tends to produce a cancer.

"Those carcinogens don't cause cancer" ???

:idunno

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I didn't include a direct link to the part of site because the image that came up I thought was inappropriate.

I. Marijuana smoke contains higher levels of carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) than those found in tobacco smoke.
As a rule, the level of carcinogenic PAHs within a chemical mixture is less important than the overarching influence of the mixture on carcinogenic PAH activation (Mahadevan et al. 2007). Indeed, marijuana smoke is presumed carcinogenic not only because it contains carcinogenic PAHs, but also because cannabinoids, in their own right, influence the cytochrome enzymes (CYP1) that determine carcinogenic PAH activation (Roth et al. 2001). Perhaps due to their phenolic hydrocarbon structure, cannabinoids share the anti-carcinogenic disposition of polyphenols to increase levels of CYP1A1 messenger RNA while competitively reducing CYP1A1 enzyme ativity through aryl hydrocarbon receptor ligation (Ciolino et al. 1998). Not surprisingly, spiking tobacco tar with delta-9 THC markedly reduced carcinogenic activity (Roth et al. 2001).

I read this as the chemical compound is present.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
There are alot of lies on both sides of any controversial story ;) And there is usually a mix of good and bad experiences for any particular substance on the face of this earth.
While I agree that if you find one thing works and another doesn't for your particular situation, then by all means, do what works for you! But use caution and just like you're not supposed to drive under the influence of alcohol or many prescription drugs...same goes for weed. Be responsible with anything you do in life and it should never become a problem

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
I didn't include a direct link to the part of site because the image that came up I thought was inappropriate.

I. Marijuana smoke contains higher levels of carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) than those found in tobacco smoke.
As a rule, the level of carcinogenic PAHs within a chemical mixture is less important than the overarching influence of the mixture on carcinogenic PAH activation (Mahadevan et al. 2007). Indeed, marijuana smoke is presumed carcinogenic not only because it contains carcinogenic PAHs, but also because cannabinoids, in their own right, influence the cytochrome enzymes (CYP1) that determine carcinogenic PAH activation (Roth et al. 2001). Perhaps due to their phenolic hydrocarbon structure, cannabinoids share the anti-carcinogenic disposition of polyphenols to increase levels of CYP1A1 messenger RNA while competitively reducing CYP1A1 enzyme ativity through aryl hydrocarbon receptor ligation (Ciolino et al. 1998). Not surprisingly, spiking tobacco tar with delta-9 THC markedly reduced carcinogenic activity (Roth et al. 2001).

Ah, well, I hope you didn't think I meant you needed to defend what you said. I just found it ironic that they said "carcinogens don't cause cancer". Ok, I can UNDERSTAND what you quoted, but ... only just. I certainly am not qualified to evaluate it, so I'll bow out. :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
FarmerJamie said:

Ah, well, I hope you didn't think I meant you needed to defend what you said. I just found it ironic that they said "carcinogens don't cause cancer". Ok, I can UNDERSTAND what you quoted, but ... only just. I certainly am not qualified to evaluate it, so I'll bow out. :)
Shiloh, no worries. :) I didn't provide enough detail, so I posted the second time. I personally don't care what folks do, as long as it doesn't affect me - but let's make informed decisions. :) Peace!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FJ
what people do does affect you.

you might not have any effect of someone smoking pot on their couch in their home, but with them smoking illegal substances, they get ya in the wallet. Your tax dollars tries to stop the use of illegal drugs and the money poured into the sytem is insanity on all drug issues.

Our tax dollars pays for darn near everything someone does out there lol

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Dunkopf said:
Just like alcohol, anyone can get it. What people put into their bodies is there business. Sure as heck not the government at any level. There's no need to legalize it for general use. It's readily available.

Medicinal marijuana is nothing more than very highly quality marijuana usually grown from clones. The clones can be legally purchased if you have a license. They make cooking oil and all sorts of food items in controlled quantities. If smoked there are no carcinogenics as with tobacco. It is truly a product of Mother Nature that has been used by many cultures for centuries to control pain and induce spiritual release.

Lately they have studies showing that it does alleviate the spread of some types of cancer. Of course, as with any science there is always someone out there to rebut others findings. There's an awfully lot of money out there lobbying against marijuana.

It's weird that something as incredibly dangerous and damaging as alcohol is legal, while marijuana is not.
Uh, no. http://www.drugabuse.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

Effects on the Lungs
Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke.

So who to believe?
Good point. I know a number of people that have smoked their entire lives. Not a one of them has any lung disease. These are people that are under the influence from the time their feet hit the floor till they fall asleep.

I wouldn't expect a government website to say anything good about marijuana. After all they waste billions trying to stop it. Lot's of good solid campaign contributors make a lot of money fighting the war on drugs. Also a lot of alcohol companies out there making big contributions.

The only bad thing about marijuana that I have seen is that it inhibits ambition and since it is easy to function in a normal manner while using it, people have a tendency to use it a lot. Alcohol on the other hand makes a person useless while they are using it. So most people don't drink at work.