Cast Iron

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got one that my wife bought me from cracker barrel for cooking eggs. The bottom is horrendously not smooth. And the handle needs to deburred, it has sharp edges. I'll most likely burn it off in a camp fire then smooth out the bottom like this.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🤣

Last edited:

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What brand of skillet did you order ?
It was ordered from what I believe is a family business here in UK. They said they will look at the pictures and see what can be done.

I read up on the chemicals and metals used for these kind of pans and really they should be for outdoor use only.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've just spoken to the lady I purchased my pans from. She is short staffed and run off her feet but promised to get back to me today.

I've just seen a skillet the same make as baymules and I'm so tempted to get it. but this lady told me not too get another one so I think she will help me :)

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Update they assured me these are 100% iron. Too be honest they are totally different too the iron skillets and pans my friends have had.
I've never seen them go patchy like these . I've always kept them well oiled and clean them every time I use them.

I'll have to buy again, I don't feel right using these.
In the pictures they looked perfect.

Last edited:

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Update they assured me these are 100% iron. Too be honest they are totally different too the iron skillets and pans my friends have had.
I've never seen them go patchy like these . I've always kept them well oiled and clean them every time I use them.

I'll have to buy again, I don't feel right using these.
In the pictures they looked perfect.
These look alot different than the one's we have here across the pond .

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
These look alot different than the one's we have here across the pond .

they should, they're new and different pans. the texture may be even different, i've not looked into them at all so i don't know.

if they are new and started out unseasoned and shiny then it can take a while to get the dark seasoning you see on pans that have been used for years.

i wouldn't get rid of them if they cook ok. just based upon looks i'd certainly not get rid of them.

if you are getting a lot of smoke you are cooking too hot with them. you shouldn't have any pan on the heat without something in it, and if you're just starting with a bit of oil then you also don't want it turned up high unless you're going to be adding something to it shortly.

all IMO of course.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
they should, they're new and different pans. the texture may be even different, i've not looked into them at all so i don't know.

if they are new and started out unseasoned and shiny then it can take a while to get the dark seasoning you see on pans that have been used for years.

i wouldn't get rid of them if they cook ok. just based upon looks i'd certainly not get rid of them.

if you are getting a lot of smoke you are cooking too hot with them. you shouldn't have any pan on the heat without something in it, and if you're just starting with a bit of oil then you also don't want it turned up high unless you're going to be adding something to it shortly.

all IMO of course.
If all the iron pans I've seen I have never seen them turn patchy like these. They say they are pure iron 🤔

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If all the iron pans I've seen I have never seen them turn patchy like these. They say they are pure iron 🤔

i took some time to read up on spun iron, checked out their website and also watched a few videos on reseasoning (i had the time :) ).

basically, the pans you have are not cast iron pans, so they will look different. that is what they are. they are iron, it is just a different process of making them which makes for a lighter pan comapred to cast iron.

do they season like cast iron pans? it looks like it.

here are the instructions for care on the website:

note i do not like the method they use for quick seasoning as i don't want smoke in the house so i baked my pan the first time i seasoned it. since it didn't have a wooden handle i didn't have to remove it before baking it. otherwise since i did that i've only used it and not worried about minor imperfections if a bit of seasoning flaked off.

i don't know what you've done with them for cooking and cleaning up after cooking so perhaps the problem was with something you cooked or how you cleaned them but really we can't know since we didn't see the pans when you got them or what you've done to them. personally, i'd not worry about it if they cook as they should. the only thing i'd change was if they were sticking when i was cooking.