CC's 2019 Garden

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like my garden survived 3 days and nights of rain and thunder storms. I'm happy about the spinach this year. Its the first year I've had full rows from direct sow. I think it needs to be cold (like snow on the ground) to germinate well. As soon as it dries out, I need to thin, pull weeds, fertilize and lay down straw. But its a mud hole right now.
IMG_20190420_095146131.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Started pulling weeds Friday evening after work. Got the weeds pulled away from the kale and lettuce. It rained Friday evening and all day Saturday, Saturday evening and still was lightly raining this morning. Its pretty bad and fuzzy in there :(. I have to get it weeded & cultivated this week. So much rain this spring.

Kale & lettuce
IMG_20190512_193536093.jpg

Beets, drown spinach
IMG_20190512_193551167.jpg

Brussels (doing well), cauliflower (buttoned :( ), cabbages doing well only 2 plants drown, broccoli (bolted :( ).
IMG_20190512_193617938.jpg

Onions are large carrots OK.
IMG_20190512_193632934.jpg

Some of the cabbage are just starting yo head :)
IMG_20190512_193758503.jpg

To much rain this spring, oh well... Not much you can do about the weather.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's my little 25'x50' spring/fall garden, nice and cleaned off from a few months ago. It looks lonely and dead doesn't it? :( The pasture still has a little snow on the ground just on the other side of the first creek. But its warming up... It's sunny & 27 degrees already :)
IMG_20190306_115942868.jpg

Been looking forward to getting my hands dirty in the garden. This time tomorrow I'll be in the garden :celebrate

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Many opinions blew over and 2 broccoli snapped during the wind storm we had last night. I'll have to wade out there and stand the onions back up and replace a couple broccoli with cauliflower. The joys of gardening in the midwest. I kind of expected it actually because the winds were howling last night.

I just love auto-correct!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hooray my spring garden is finally all planted and I was able to run the tiller around in there also :)
IMG_20190319_172324054.jpg

I had another strange thing happen to my while working in this garden this late afternoon. Last year i took a picture and there was a rainbow in this garden.

I had just finished hilling up my last 4 rows and was turning my attention to sowing lettuce seeds. It was a great day for sowing fly away seeds because the winds were very calm. Then all of a sudden it got very cold, to the point where the hair was standing up on my arms and legs cold. Then it got very windy. I could hear the winds rustling the pine and cedar trees. I'm like oh great... No sowing lettuce today. Then I seen dry leaves and pine needles and small stick spinning counter clockwise in the loose shape of a cylinder headed right for me. I'm like what in the world is this? Then next thing I know I'm completed surrounded by leaves and pine needles and small sticks spinning around me counter clockwise. The spinning thing stopped moving but was still spinning. I was inside this counter clockwise spinning vortex thing for over 15 seconds and I was utterly amazed by this. How did I get inside of this without even so much of a scratch from even a small stick. I reached out to grab a stick or leaf or pine needle that was spinning around me, when i did, it just wisk away directly north, as like it did not want me touching it. Again no injury not even a scratch when it left. The wind stopped, it was no longer cold and the spinning thing was gone. At that time I had an overwhelming sense of awe and amazement. I ain't never experienced anything like that before in my life. I can't even begin to guess what it was other than a spirit or an angel of some kind. I first thought was maybe it was a whirlwind but the more I think about it and the way it behaved the more I think it wasn't a whirlwind. Typing this right now the hair on my arms and legs is standing up again.

If you have any explanations or guesses what this spinny cylinder shaped thing might have been, please reply - thanks.

Latest posts