Chocolate Nutbutter Bars aka Healthy Butternut Squash Brownies ;)

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I made these today and they came out fantastic. They aren't dense like brownies, more cake like...but still GOOD!

http://girlswithrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/02/butter-nut-squash-brownies.html

Butter Nut Squash Brownies

They are the healthiest brownies that you will ever eat. My kids love them! They sound weird but they are pretty good. I dont like them warm, they taste better cold.

1 C nut butter (peanut, almond, roasted cashews, pecan)
C honey
tsp baking soda
1 egg
3 4 T cocoa
C cooked butternut squash mashed until smooth
C chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Mix ingredients well. Pour into greased baking pan, bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes
OH YEAH! I'll be making these this weekend!!!

THANKS BBH!

By the way, how do you cook butternut squash? :rolleyes:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've cooked it, but I seem to recall that this is what I did.

Cut it in half length ways. Scoop out the seeds. Cook cut side down in water at 350* until soft.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
It's been awhile since I've cooked it, but I seem to recall that this is what I did.

Cut it in half length ways. Scoop out the seeds. Cook cut side down in water at 350* until soft.
DEB TO THE RESCUE! :lol:

Thank you. Gonna definitely do this this weekend as my daughter is a chocoholic! (Especially right now if you know what I mean).

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yup, just like that. Mine was a medium-small sized squash, it took about 45 minutes.

Save the seeds, you can roast them just like pumpkin seeds. I freeze them until I have enough to roast. :)

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Yup, just like that. Mine was a medium-small sized squash, it took about 45 minutes.

Save the seeds, you can roast them just like pumpkin seeds. I freeze them until I have enough to roast. :)
YUMM! Roasted seeds AND brownies! you folks are just a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for the approx times too. that's something I seem to still have some trouble with even after all these years of cooking!

Thanks!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have an easier way to cook squash(don't hate me). Stab the squash repeatedly with a sharp knife then put it on a microwavable plate. Microwave on high for about 20 minutes, flipping it over once half way through. Then, cut it in half lengthwise being careful of the steam. Scoop out the seeds, then the "meat."

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I just poked it with my finger from time to time. :p
AHHHHHH! The scientific approach!

That's generally the way I check stuff too!

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
I have an easier way to cook squash(don't hate me). Stab the squash repeatedly with a sharp knife then put it on a microwavable plate. Microwave on high for about 20 minutes, flipping it over once half way through. Then, cut it in half lengthwise being careful of the steam. Scoop out the seeds, then the "meat."
Well, I'm sure we could never hate you (CHEATER! :gig).

Now I have to decide which way to do it... Decisions, decisions!

Sorry BBH, didn't mean to hijack!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
You can also cut them in half, and set them face down on a pan with water. But I actually hate that method. I like to cut 'em AFTER they're soft :D

I do the seeds in small batches. If I cut an acorn squash, I cook the seeds while the squash cooks (they're small enough to cut in half and bake with lotsa butter in them!!) with butter and honey and balsamic vinegar. It caramelizes.