Chocolate Nutbutter Bars aka Healthy Butternut Squash Brownies ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I don't see why not. :hu I heard chocolate prices were going up so I bought a bunch of cocoa pdr last year. How much is it for you down under?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:lol: That sums up my cooking experiment with Nutella.

What I wanted was hazelnut butter, but Nutella was not the answer. I've never had it before, so it was a learning experience for me. :lol: It wasn't until I got the jar home that I noticed that the first ingredient was sugar. :lol: And it had skim milk in it . . . . But that didn't deter me. :lol: :gig So I mixed it up and threw it in the oven. Everything looked great. I checked it at 25 min and it looked like it was rising all around, except the very middle and it smelled good, so I left it for another 5 min. :gig When I checked on it next it had deflated and was bubbling rapidly. :lol: :gig :lol: :th So I pulled the molten chocolate lava out of the oven and let it cool down.

I tasted it after it had come back to room temperature. It was actually fine . . . just tasted and had a consistency more like pudding. I did finish off the pan, but meanwhile I found some genuine hazelnut butter, so I am going to try that instead.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
:lol: That sums up my cooking experiment with Nutella.

What I wanted was hazelnut butter, but Nutella was not the answer. I've never had it before, so it was a learning experience for me. :lol: It wasn't until I got the jar home that I noticed that the first ingredient was sugar. :lol: And it had skim milk in it . . . . But that didn't deter me. :lol: :gig So I mixed it up and threw it in the oven. Everything looked great. I checked it at 25 min and it looked like it was rising all around, except the very middle and it smelled good, so I left it for another 5 min. :gig When I checked on it next it had deflated and was bubbling rapidly. :lol: :gig :lol: :th So I pulled the molten chocolate lava out of the oven and let it cool down.

I tasted it after it had come back to room temperature. It was actually fine . . . just tasted and had a consistency more like pudding. I did finish off the pan, but meanwhile I found some genuine hazelnut butter, so I am going to try that instead.
:D Nutella is for special occasions for sure. Not good for you, but a fabulous tasting chocolate treat.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I agree, BB. I can't believe that people in France typically eat it for breakfast. But I guess typical Americans eat sweetened cereals for breakfast . . . . :p

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I agree, BB. I can't believe that people in France typically eat it for breakfast. But I guess typical Americans eat sweetened cereals for breakfast . . . . :p
And I would eat the Nuttela over processed cereal every day.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes, I was glad that it had real sugar and palm oil as opposed to HFCS and cottonseed oil.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I guess I'm with Dace on these brownies . . . I mean if you are going to call them "brownies," the expectations have been raised. I think they should be called "chocolate, nutbutter bars" or something.

However . . . if you are not a purist about keeping them healthy, I found that a few chocolate chips added to the brownies helps you overlook the lack of true brownieness.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Oh boy...now that sounds real good....!I'll be saving that recipe, thanks so much..!..:)