Chocolate Nutbutter Bars aka Healthy Butternut Squash Brownies ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
MTN....how did yours turn out? Maybe peanut butter brownies is the way to go.
Several notes: I added 1/2 cup more squash, b/c the batter was to stiff. I used unsweetened natural peanut butter. I used a bread pan.

Next time, I will add more sweetener, idk if it was b/c I added more squash or b/c of the unsweetened peanut butter, but it was not sweet enough.

Next time also, i will use a different pan, as it was still a little gooey in the middle. the end peices were great, but I had to put it back in the oven to finish the rest.

these are definite keepers, but i need to tweak it just a bit. They tasted a bit like reeses pieces. I also did not add nuts.

The kids will like them better after I tweak the recipe, they are very rich.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have not read the whole thread. But I did save the recipe. I will try these with some baked Cushaw. It is so close to Butternut but an heirloom pumpkin.

g

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Several notes: I added 1/2 cup more squash, b/c the batter was to stiff. I used unsweetened natural peanut butter. I used a bread pan.

Next time, I will add more sweetener, idk if it was b/c I added more squash or b/c of the unsweetened peanut butter, but it was not sweet enough.

Next time also, i will use a different pan, as it was still a little gooey in the middle. the end peices were great, but I had to put it back in the oven to finish the rest.

these are definite keepers, but i need to tweak it just a bit. They tasted a bit like reeses pieces. I also did not add nuts.

Leave out the extra squash. That is what upset the baking texture and taste.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
miss_thenorth said:

Leave out the extra squash. That is what upset the baking texture and taste.
No, it needed the extra squash. The texture was fine on the egdes. It was just too thick. I'm sure it will turn out fine if I used a larger pan, the brownies will be thinner. Before I added the extra squash, I could barely stir it.

tinkarooni

Power Conserver
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I made these today and they came out fantastic. They aren't dense like brownies, more cake like...but still GOOD!

http://girlswithrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/02/butter-nut-squash-brownies.html

Butter Nut Squash Brownies

They are the healthiest brownies that you will ever eat. My kids love them! They sound weird but they are pretty good. I dont like them warm, they taste better cold.

1 C nut butter (peanut, almond, roasted cashews, pecan)
C honey
tsp baking soda
1 egg
3 4 T cocoa
C cooked butternut squash mashed until smooth
C chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Mix ingredients well. Pour into greased baking pan, bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes
Thanks so much, I think I still have a couple of butternuts in the cellar.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks for refreshing this thread, tinkarooni. I have been needing another high protein snack recipe . . . and I've been craving chocolate like mad for over a month now. :p

I think I'm going to make these with Nutella (hazelnut w/cocoa in it already), so I'll use the smaller amount of cocoa. I have a surplus of pumpkin puree in the freezer.

But what size pan are you all using? The standard square ones (is it 8" x 8"?) or the larger rectangular ones?

ETA: I'm going to guess you are using the standard square size, based upon the recipe volume and the fact that a bread pan was too small.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I used a 9x13. I have made these twice now. Both times I had to fiddle with the recipe,and for the life of me, I cant remember my alterations. I know I added extra squash the first time, and the second time, more honey. they wer great, and honestly, they kept fresh for a long time, which was great b/c I was the only one eating them. Oh, and the second time I made my own peanut butter for them. I left it kinda crunchy.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have to try this...sounds yummy!

ooo crunchy peanut butter...that could be yummy!