Christmas is coming! Christmas is coming!!!!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hey, I'm with you Curly Kate, and Farmer Denise -
love the holiday with all the acoutrements,
I get a lot of enjoyment out of planning gifts, I love the extra caring of homebaked cookies and treats, love the candles and lights and even the music!

Not christian, I have other goddesses, but I host xmas for my family including my fundamentalist sister, my aetheist brother, etc. I celebrate Solstice and Hannukah too with friends and family.

I like saying Merry Christmas, because it is such a nice greeting - when I am fairly certain the person I am saying it to is celebrating it too. Not nice to say it to someone who didn't grow up with xmas in their family, it can feel like another way to say "you don't belong" which will have been rubbed in their face for the three months of xmas music, decorations, sales, etc.

Not sure why people get bent out of shape over the idea that we should all be open hearted and try to include everyone - not make anyone feel left out or less than because they aren't part of the majority. Hence retailers asking staff to be gracious to everyone - whats the harm in that?

anyway, time to uncover the holiday lights outside from all the snow covering them.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
:frow ( I love this little "Hi" smilie :D)

BB wrote:
However I don't think it should matter how is was derived, it should be based on the feelings and perception that people give it, which is ultimately a good thing. After all, much of the Bible is derived from other sources.
Could you please show some of these "sources"? :caf

The Bible states from what source it comes from i.e.
2 Tim. 3: 16,17 All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.

2 Pet. 1:20,21 For YOU know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. For prophecy was at no time brought by mans will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit.

Some Quotes from Jesus that might indicate how he feels about "Christmas"....
Matt. 15:3-9 In reply he said to them: Why is it YOU also overstep the commandment of God because of YOUR tradition? ........ And so YOU have made the word of God invalid because of YOUR tradition. .... Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU, when he said, This people honors me with their lips, yet their heart is far removed from me. It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines.

John 2: 15,16 So, after making a whip of ropes, he drove all those with the sheep and cattle out of the temple, and he poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. And he said to those selling the doves: Take these things away from here! Stop making the house of my Father a house of merchandise!

ACCORDING to The World Book Encyclopedia, Christmas is the day on which Christians celebrate the birthday of Jesus Christ. Nevertheless, the encyclopedia also states: The early Christians did not celebrate [Jesus] birth because they considered the celebration of anyones birth to be a pagan custom.
The Making of the Modern Christmas, by Golby and Purdue, agrees: Early Christians did not celebrate the birth of Christ. Birthdays in themselves were associated with pagan practices; the Gospels say nothing about the actual date of Christs birth.
OK, belated Sunday sermon is over now, cause it's Monday! :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
two basics for me are the decorations

just love seeing those

and music -- I get a kick out of the Christmas music

and love just the overall feeling of the day!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
For me, the Christmas season has been way over commercialized....to the point that it has taken the joy out. Now it seems it is "all about the money" that retailers will make.

The Wife and I treat each other pretty well every day of the year. We try to enjoy the little things that make life memorable. In the end, the only thing you take with you are your memories.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Another HUGE fan of Christmas here :frow

My favorite things about Christmas are giving to others, taking the time to show love an appreciation for those who touch my life, cold nights with a fire, scented oils and candles burning....but the thing that I am looking forward to the most this year? Going to church!

Since we have really grown in our faith this year, we are excited to experience the holiday though our church and replacing Santa with the baby Jesus.

I am already thinking about busting out my Christmas decor....not to set it up, just to *organize* it :lol:

Edited to add.....My Hubby was always amazed at how much I loved Christmas, it was a big deal to me. He knew that and so one Christmas eve he took me to a local touristy spot by the water, with shops and restaurants. It was very nicely decorated for Christmas, lights and poinsettias everywhere, holiday music was playing and it was foggy and misty out. We stopped at a restaurant for a drink and a snack, listening to music. Then when we went back out to wander around and enjoy the beauty if the place he pulled out a diamond ring and proposed to me...... on my favorite night of the year :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
For me, the Christmas season has been way over commercialized....to the point that it has taken the joy out. Now it seems it is "all about the money" that retailers will make.

I know what you mean, if you focus on that or let yourself get wrapped up in that nonsense then it is a drag. While I do buy for all of our family I have come to the point in my life where I do it because it brings me joy, not because it is expected.
If you can shake all that aside, it is a very warm and loving season.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is it Dace

it is a test

can you avoid the junk side and ENJOY the true holiday

I sure can...even tho I hate the junk side lol

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
that is it Dace

it is a test

can you avoid the junk side and ENJOY the true holiday

I sure can...even tho I hate the junk side lol
Hehehe...now don't get me wrong, I love tacky glittery holiday decor, lights, poinsettias and candy canes! BUT I do not give into the pressure to make it "the perfect Christmas" because it is just not about me.

If you can get away from trying to achieve perfection and let go of silly expectations....well, it is just much more enjoyable!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Dace, what an awesome way to propose!! :D

My DH doesn't really care for Christmas, and I'm not sure why. It's not like he ever had some traumatic event one holiday that ruined it for him for forever, he just doesn't get excited at all for it. :rolleyes: It really gets to me. It's hard to be all excited when he's "bah humbug"ing in my ear. :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
tacky---holiday lights and candy canes
NO WAY that is the enjoyable side lol more glitz and decor is great!

the bad side is "feeling of being stressed, rushed, retail marketing, etc."

no Christmas is perfect, nothing in life is perfect, I just take the day and enjoy all the best of the best

Latest posts