Christmas is coming! Christmas is coming!!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I really think some people as we grow older can hold onto the fun, decorative, festive side, and some people just give it up as a holiday for kids.

me, I am the older kid hahaha

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My favorite thing is at night, turning the tree lights on and all the other house lights off and just sitting in peace and quiet before going to bed. It helps to balance out all the craziness that comes along for the ride.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love Christmas and Christmas music. Listening to it now (and since the end of October). :p

I celebrate for the true meaning of Christmas, the birthday of Christ. I love gift giving. But I've been trying to get away from the commercial or obligatory side of Christmas. I don't want to give junk. I want to give from the heart without expecting a return.

I love decorating and baking and relaxing with family.

A big Christmas Eve service is a tradition at our church and our family always gathers together afterward.

For the first time that I recall, my mother and I are considering traveling over Christmas. That sort of stresses me out. :/

I always long for snow at Christmas. It fits with the lights and cozy feel. But after our heavy snows last year, I pray the snow is done by January 2. :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not religious at all. I don't see it as celebrating any gods/godesses/whatever. I see it as a time to get together with family and gain 20lbs on good food. Same as Easter and all the other holidays. Sure, Memorial day and such I'll give a thought or two about why we're actually having a national holiday, but the "religious" holidays, nah. X-mas seems to be the worst of the religious holidays, as far as prep. I HATE the month or so before x-mas. I always stress out about gifts and crap. I'd so rather not exchange presents. Then it would be perfect.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have very mixed feelings about Christmas...1/2 of me totally agrees with old sew and sew, and the other half doesn't really care one way or another. I do love the Christmas hymns though!
I like some of the decorating, but this bible verse has always really put a damper on that part of it for me...

Jerimiah 10:1-4
2 Thus says the Lord: "Do not learn the way of the pagans; do not be dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the pagans are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the people are futile; for one cuts a tree from the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the ax.
4 They decorate it with silver and gold; they fasten it with nails and hammers so that it will not topple.

That pretty much tells it all:>)
But I love the hymns!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I refuse to participate in obligatory gift giving.

So no holidays or birthdays, here.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think its the lights. I don't really care what time of year it is as long as I have an excuse to decorate with strings of lights :D

Oh...and the cinnamon scented pine cones.

I am such a dork about those :gig

Yeah Abi, but you never refused a present I gave you at Christmas! And you are a big baking geek. (Maybe she just likes an excuse to play with pumpkin and cranberry :D )

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grew up in a Jehovah Witness family. So no xmas when I was a child. :hit I remember seeing how all my friends came back from the xmas break with new clothes or jewellry. The would ask what I got and I'd say nothing. Then they'd laugh at me. :hu
It royally sucked. BUT...

Now I'm grown and have my own kids and we go APE over Christmas. We decorate everything, even the bird feeders. I went to Goodwill yesterday with grown daughter and we found some very inexspensive picture frames. I bought them for her and was going to give them to her and she told me to wrap them up cus she would forget about them by the time xmas came. I realized then I raised a really awsome young lady. Not greedy, snobby or selfish. :thumbsup She's working hard to become a school teacher like her ma. And she's even more liberated and independent minded than me. Look out future principals and school boards. :lol: