Christmas is coming! Christmas is coming!!!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ahhhh, Christmas....this is when I am in my prime. I love the decorations...the smells...crisp cold air with the smell of a woodstove burning....the warm home with the great smells of bakeing..be it cinnamon, breads, or cookies. I love watching a new puppy plaing in the first snow...and barking at the decorations in the yard...But, mostly, I love the spirit....for the most part, people just seem to be a bit more pleasant this time of year. I just love Christmas. A Grandchilds face all lit up with excitement...as they stare at the decorations. The hush, that falls over the night....with the very faint sounds of Christmas music in the backround.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I love watching a new puppy plaing in the first snow...and barking at the decorations in the yard..
:gig Our dog is a nut case in the snow - diving into the snow banks and rolling around in it... cracks me up.
I throw snowballs for her to catch - and its SO dang funny when she misses and then tries to find it. :gig

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
:frow Sis,
Happy to see you so happy!:lol:

FD says:
and I am pagan
Its interesting that you feel that way and rightly so, since Christmas is a Pagan holiday and since I learned that about 25+ years ago, I have chosen not to celebrate Christmas, although I have numerous childhood memories of Christmas' past.

I find more balance and joy in gift giving from the heart at all times of the year, and living in a way that pleases God.

Googled The Origins of Christmas :http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/christmas-origin.htm
However, most of what we witness on December 25th each year has absolutely nothing to do with that blessed day, which probably occurred in late summer or early fall about 2,000 years ago. In fact, most of the customs and traditions of Christmas actually pre-date the birth of Jesus, and many of them are downright deceptive in their meaning and origin. Here are a few examples:

The date of December 25th probably originated with the ancient "birthday" of the son-god, Mithra, a pagan deity whose religious influence became widespread in the Roman Empire during the first few centuries A.D. Mithra was related to the Semitic sun-god, Shamash, and his worship spread throughout Asia to Europe where he was called Deus Sol Invictus Mithras. Rome was well-known for absorbing the pagan religions and rituals of its widespread empire. As such, Rome converted this pagan legacy to a celebration of the god, Saturn, and the rebirth of the sun god during the winter solstice period. The winter holiday became known as Saturnalia and began the week prior to December 25th. The festival was characterized by gift-giving, feasting, singing and downright debauchery, as the priests of Saturn carried wreaths of evergreen boughs in procession throughout the Roman temples.

Variations of this pagan holiday flourished throughout the first few centuries after Jesus Christ, but it probably wasn't until 336 AD that Emperor Constantine officially converted this pagan tradition into the "Christian" holiday of Christmas.
( I picked this one at random. These are historial facts, not legends.)

It's no secret now, but I did not know this when I celebrated Christmas :he and I am not a Pagan so I don't celebrate it any more. Nowadays my favorite thing about Christmas is when it's over.

I believe that all the sensations that you describe smells, sights, baking cookies, music, etc., can and should be enjoyed at every opportunity, as it's God's gift to all mankind manifest in His Creation. (To each his own.) :idunno

Thats funny you should be stargazing with your puppies, as I have been doing the same thing with Carly, only in connection with house/potty training, she cannot hold it all night so I have had a real treat stargazing several times every night ...yaaawwn :gig

Is. 40:25,26 But to whom can YOU people liken me so that I should be made his equal? says the Holy One. Raise YOUR eyes high up and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who is bringing forth the army of them even by number, all of whom he calls even by name. Due to the abundance of dynamic energy, he also being vigorous in power, not one [of them] is missing.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I love the Christmas Eve candlelight service. And, it is the one day all year that both MyT Man and I are off and truly have a day of rest. Over the years with no children, we've developed our own little way of celebrating.

We usually do Christmas eve service and then sleep in late like maybe until 10 on Christmas. We don't give gifts or do stockings. We splurge on something a day or two before to eat such as fancy crackers, expensive cheese tray, and some meats, or we'll do a microwave food binge with buffalo wings, poppers, mini pizzas, and egg rolls. One year we sprung for outrageously crazy stuff from our fav Chinese restaurant. Anyway, we eat bad, nontraditional things. And we lounge. I mean really lounge, as in usually not even going outside. Then we call everyone, and I mean everyone on the phone all afternoon. Then we watch a couple of movies and then usually go to bed early. Weird maybe but we enjoy it and look forward to it.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Growing up the holiday was always rather stress-filled and hectic, never much fun for me.
However I don't think it should matter how is was derived, it should be based on the feelings and perception that people give it, which is ultimately a good thing. After all, much of the Bible is derived from other sources.
I agree the good things, the sights, music, etc. should be enjoyed at every opportunity.. And I guess that's why it's just after Halloween and here we have Christmas themed stuff!

As a Pagan I'm celebrating Yule/Winter Solstice year on the 21st (full Moon).. Denise, are you planning on doing something on this date or postponing for the rest of the family?

Edit typo

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I enjoy walking through the stores and greeting all the workers with a "Merry Christmas" since I know they can't say it anymore and have to say "Happy Holidays". I hate what our country has done to Christmas!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I also love christmas. The decorations, the spirit, church. I love singing the old christmas carols at church. I researched it a few years back and found that it was a pagan origin holiday. But I look at as that yeah it started as a pagan holiday but christians took hold of it and turned it into a holiday for christians. Christmas to me is the celebration of the birth of our savior Jesus Christ.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Well how's this for weird? I'm an athiest and I LOVE Christmas! To me, it's not about Christ's birthday or a religious celebration, it's a time of year to celebrate your love for everyone really. I love giving people gifts (usually I try to make what I can), and I love the festivities. I love Christmas lights, I love decorations. I love the Coca Cola Santa!! :lol: I love the food, I love the smells (cinnamon, peppermint, chocolate, etc). I love wrapping presents and watching cheesy Christmas movies. I love wishing for snow, though we hardly ever have a white Christmas. I just love everything about it. :love

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I, too, love Christmas. But at this point, it drives me crazy to hear the music or see the stores decked out. It's too early!

Anyway, I think it's cool to see how people who have so many different beliefs enjoy Christmas as a time to get together with family. Because really, if people are taking time out to spend with family and friends, who cares about the motives?? :)