Coffee done now

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Talking about castrating, here is why I don't like asking people to help me do things. Had a guy come round to castrate a few boars for me some years ago. Good old-fashioned knife wielding, messy, get 'em out way. It went well enough I thought, at the time, except when I walked round the pen and found where he tossed the... (and left them), I stepped in it :confused:

I didn't look too closely at the work he did, being squeamish rookie pig farmer at the time, I should've before I paid him, he missed one. Not pig, testicle! So we had a boar running around with one missing :rolleyes: Seriously?

Just for the record, we found no difference in the meat and flavour of the boars with a pair, one, or no testicles.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Boar taint is a big argument. I've read it's part genetic and part environmental. Apparently Durocs, for instance, have more than other breeds. My phone is being slow again so I will link to a well known pig farm in my neighbor VT who is doing a lot of testing of boar taint. Afraid I can't find the exact link right now but I will a little later if I find my patience! Lol

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Here you go: Member's "Self Sufficient Living" Journals

Can I borrow your cat? I got woken up at 03:00am by a mouse screaming it's head off and tossing the mouse trap around. Under My BED! It managed to get out of the trap, so I'm a bit worried it went and died somewhere inside the house.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I need coffee! FEM can bake us some brownies to go with it. (I just posted some more recipes for you on the zuch thread btw, including one for brownies ;) )

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I heard a bit of a commotion outside now, cars coming past hooting and people cheering. Our little village's football team won the county semi-final match! Not bad, considering we only have around 500 people in this parish, half of which is babies, children or elderly. The pubs are going to busy tonight ;)

What news in you all's part of the world?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I spent the day at work making fresh veggie stir fry for samplings. It always amazes me that so many people actually don't cook or know how. They generally ask "where is it, what aisle". When I explain that these are FRESH veggies, cut, stir fried....it's like they didn't even know that could happen! :lol: Same with salsas, dips, etc. They want it "jarred and ready".

Saturday I'll promote fresh watermelon, peaches, apricots, etc. It will be a fresh salad mixture with lime juice, crumpled feta cheese & crushed mint leaves. Can't wait to explain THAT one!

Heading to bed soon. Up with the roosters at dawn, feed, open coops, get ready for work and leave.........yep, somewhere in there I will make my delicious coffee and enjoy it. Think I'll have a slice of toasted, multi grain bread with lotsa real butter to go along with it. Wake up and get into the mood to go cut up fruit, stir and dish out those cute little cups of joy. Chickens will be thrilled with rinds & leftovers when I get home tomorrow! :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Mini Horses, that sounds like a job with some very nice benefits! For you and the animals.

Latest posts