Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Romans Chapter 5 \o/

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Capture.JPG

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I wish I had desire, patience and time to raise chicks or ducklings. Last year I had a FFA student raise them until they were 14 weeks and paid her. I have room for 7 in the new coop and wanting to have one of my Brahmas hatch 5 eggs in the 2nd coop
Sounds like you need a Silkie hen to raise chicks for you!

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wish I had desire, patience and time to raise chicks or ducklings. Last year I had a FFA student raise them until they were 14 weeks and paid her. I have room for 7 in the new coop and wanting to have one of my Brahmas hatch 5 eggs in the 2nd coop
It is a lot of work in the beginning, it was for me, cuz I didnt have a broody hen or a big enough coop for a brooder in the coop for the first 3 weeks I had them. I do move them to the coop at 2 weeks but this year it was to cold in May.
this year I had 2 delivery dates, so they were a week apart. I had to set two brooders up for the second week, the week I got chick batch#2.
IMG_0563.JPG

but after the second batch was a week old I moved them in with the first batch, and that went fine.
IMG_0569.JPG

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some mixed breed hens who are great broodies! One, hatched here 3 yrs ago, must think she's a silkie....goes broody 2-3 times a year! I have to pen her due to others contributing eggs, once she's seting. But I love a hen raising chicks. I usually have 4-5 set each year. This year, I'll do better with accommodating them to assure a new flock. I intend to buy and pick up some outside eggs to pull in new bloodlines.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good morning! On my second cup of coffee. It’s 23F and will warm up to 48F. I worked sheep yesterday and took fecal samples. Only ran 4 yesterday under the microscope. 2 were 11 month old ewes I raised, they passed with flying colors. One had a count of 100, the other, 500. The one with 500 count will be treated with Garlic Barrier, twice, 10 days apart and retested. Neither has ever been wormed. I’m happy with their results.

The other 2 are the registered ewes BJ and I bought. When I got them home, they got a bad case of tapeworms, it took 3 treatments to knock them out. I noticed them looking a little peaked, so went ahead and wormed them yesterday and took fecal samples. They are in the category of, “Why aren’t you dead?”
Dolly has a count of 1,550, not terrible but not good. Dessa has a count of 17,250, “Why aren’t you dead?” LOL I’ll wait 10 days and treat again, 10 more days, take fecal sample and treat a 3rd time.

I’m using apple flavored horse ivermectin with the weight dial applicator. If that fails, I go to Prohibit.

Dolly and Dessa were already spooky, now they really hate me.

So I’ll be squinting through the microscope today, counting barber pole worm eggs. Then I know who is wormy and who isn’t.
Which worms do your sheep get?

Tape, barber pole, and what else?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do! Like 3 of them ;) they are on my list to find 3 pullets this spring.

Make sure they aren't hatchery silkies. Those don't go broody as much and don't have much fluff. Well non-hatchery is a good idea for all breeds. I think all the hatchery birds have had leghorn added in over the years to make them lay more.

Cochins also make good broodies and you can choose between bantam and large fowl. I know someone who uses large fowl cochins for brooding turkey eggs.