Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This is my Bakers Choice wood cook stove, View attachment 17860
back when we first thought we were moving, like 2 years ago 2019, our son needed a woodstove so, we gave it to him.
Well, they took it and then decided they wanted one with a water jacket
View attachment 17861

and asked if they could give it to a friend that had just bought a house and needed a stove. We said well ya, we gave it to you, and its yours so......

so he gave it to his friend.......WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will never guess who that was and where it is????

It is in the dinning room area off the kitchen in my new house :gig I got my stove back!

and I am going to put my baking bench and shelf on the wall next to it, by that window,

View attachment 17864
Amazing! It will feel like home right away.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made brown rice, peas and talapia fish and salad for dinner

https://www.kroger.com/r/one-pan-turmeric-tilapia-with-coconut-rice-recipe/5db1cf7b9da07c0f0ad55eb5

5db1cf7b9da07c0f0ad55eb5-original.png

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Diapers:
I just saw on the news there is a shortage in baby supplies, so I am going to buy and put on the shelf cloth diapers. Even though my daughters will use disposable, I will stock up just in case a day comes when the would-a should-a rolls in.

I'll ask DDIL her top choice.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On the Welsummers, the ones I have had have always laid good and they are great foragers. Not near as flighty as Lt Brown Leghorns that they resemble the feather pattern. Besides the brown eggs. I got them because they resembled the Lt browns that I used to show and I could not sell the white eggs. I will get more this coming year now that I am moved and getting settled and will get the coops all set up. I hope to have the chickens out in the "orchard" section once I get the trees moved. I plan to fence it to help keep in the chickens, and a possible dog again, and to keep out the deer.
I will also be getting some more New Hampshires and some big Black Langshans... show birds... would like some in bantams too. I miss my chickens but hoping to get back into it now that the knees have been replaced and I hope to get back to more activity...
I will be getting back my dairy nurse cows off the farm I put them on 2 yrs ago when I knew I was having the ankle replaced and then the knees. I didn't want to sell them so "farmed them out" , and will get them back hopefully as they are due to go dry.... I was lucky to have a farm I test for that could use the milk and I felt comfortable moving them to. They have milked them, bred them, calved them etc. Treated them like their own and they are quiet and easy around the cows.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On the Welsummers, the ones I have had have always laid good and they are great foragers. Not near as flighty as Lt Brown Leghorns that they resemble the feather pattern. Besides the brown eggs. I got them because they resembled the Lt browns that I used to show and I could not sell the white eggs. I will get more this coming year now that I am moved and getting settled and will get the coops all set up. I hope to have the chickens out in the "orchard" section once I get the trees moved. I plan to fence it to help keep in the chickens, and a possible dog again, and to keep out the deer.
I will also be getting some more New Hampshires and some big Black Langshans... show birds... would like some in bantams too. I miss my chickens but hoping to get back into it now that the knees have been replaced and I hope to get back to more activity...
I will be getting back my dairy nurse cows off the farm I put them on 2 yrs ago when I knew I was having the ankle replaced and then the knees. I didn't want to sell them so "farmed them out" , and will get them back hopefully as they are due to go dry.... I was lucky to have a farm I test for that could use the milk and I felt comfortable moving them to. They have milked them, bred them, calved them etc. Treated them like their own and they are quiet and easy around the cows.
I really like having chickens. I am glad I saw these this morning, I am very excited about getting them.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Which worms do your sheep get?

Tape, barber pole, and what else?
I only worry about the barber pole worms. I have color pictures of the other types, but they are harder to recognize. Tapes are easy to see in the droppings. The sheep stay pretty healthy.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I leave in the morning for Groveton. My friend is coming over to help me block up the shipping containers. Or rather, I'll be helping him. LOL LOL I'm looking forward to getting the pile of lumber and misc. building materials out of the living area of the house so I can finish painting, clean up and haul some furniture down there so I can do the floors here. I have the back of the truck loaded up with wood posts and T-posts, several rolls of wire (couldn't pick up the 3 rolls of barb wire by myself) and rolls of hardware cloth that I got a deal on some years ago. I have boxes packed, no idea where I'll put it all. Started on the pantry yesterday.......I have a nice pantry here and nothing there. I'm gonna cram all I can in the truck cab, its a crew cab. It's going to rain all weekend, perfect for painting, scrubbing the kitchen and unpacking some stuff. Eh, we'll see how much I get done. Oh, and maybe even unload my flatbed trailer of all the lumber on it and stash it in one of the shipping containers!