Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Goats think rounds are a plaything, then a napping location! Yes they eat center climb in and could be smothered. So gotta be unaccessible. So. I use squares. Have a trough in barn, not on their side, bad weather use. They can get a head to, not a body. 😁. Can't use once kids arrive as they find a way to crawl in and nap, so closed off then. Unrolled one daily, ONE time....back to squares!

Horses, no problem!! Trough in their barn and they politely eat hay there.
My goats have been yelling at us for a month, demanding new hay. They have the end of a round bale. They've been climbing on it, sleeping on it, etc, so it's a small-ish pile now. There's enough hay... fussy goats.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oddly, Dasiy is my favorite, she's so dang blasted cute and bashful. Can't tell by the picture but she has dun colored blotches.
IMG_20220301_124924488_HDR~2.jpg

For grins, I put 5 handfuls of whole grain corn in the feeder. Wow watch out, they really like corn.
IMG_20220301_124851391_HDR.jpg

Oreo is most definitely the pasture boss.
IMG_20220301_130737931_HDR.jpg

They are itching a lot and licking there backs. One of the steers has a bald spot on his shoulder. Could be lice, mites or ringworm fungus, IDK... But it's about time to hit them with pour on ivermectin anyways, so I'll do that this evening.
IMG_20220301_140741655_HDR~2.jpg

Newbie trying to care for animals. I have A LOT to learn but it's enjoyable learning 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I had a full day in Lufkin. I went to the feed store, TSC, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Sam’s Club, Walmart, aired up a front tire, mailed a bill at the post office and finally home. Put away groceries then had to make room on portable building for feed and dog food. Chris, the guy that spent a month working on the house, came over, met dogs and sheep, fed dogs and sheep, and the dogs LIKED him! Now I can go help DD tear off roof and reroof their little guest house on spring break. Then I’m bringing the girls home with me. I have a couple other “go” things I want to do and now I know animals will be cared for. He’s coming over again and feed while I stay out of sight. Yay!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cows are smart, they seem to know the best hay is in the middle. This is the 4th hay round I've fed them since late December. It seems they average a hay round about every 3 weeks. That's not to bad actually. They prefer grazing and the pasture should start greening up again soon.
View attachment 18365

My wife is funny... She said that hay round is delicious, if you're a cow!

I still have 5 rounds left so not too conserned about setting the round on the open ground at this point. The feeder works well because it keeps loose hay inside the feeder. But the round is still sitting on the ground and I don't like that much. I might try and hillbilly something better to keep the round off the ground but still confined and dry. maybe, IDK... Any advise? 🤔
View attachment 18366

No need to keep hay off the ground. Waste hay is never wasted. It adds humus back to the soil and gives the cow a comfortable place to lay down. Just set hay bale in a new spot each time to spread the dead hay, manure and urine around. It’s good for the pasture. You can put it in a hay ring so they don’t trample the good hay, then move new bale and ring to a new spot.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No need to keep hay off the ground. Waste hay is never wasted. It adds humus back to the soil and gives the cow a comfortable place to lay down. Just set hay bale in a new spot each time to spread the dead hay, manure and urine around. It’s good for the pasture. You can put it in a hay ring so they don’t trample the good hay, then move new bale and ring to a new spot.
I'll say one thing for sure...They absolutely devoured that hay round that's outside of the ring. I mean from all 4 sides I seen cow rear ends sticking out of the round. I don't know if it's that they are more hungry now or what, but they have most definitely went on a hay binge all of a sudden. You can see what's left of it next to the ring in the background upper left.

Waiting on dreadlocks
Screenshot_20220304-175010~2.png

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i've been staying away from hot chocolate the past week. really needed to cut calories and that was one of the ways to do that. will have some herbal tea sometime today. it feels colder with more humidity in the air.
I have some hot cocoa mix in my cupboard. I didn't intend to buy it - an accidental click online shopping. I'm debating discarding it. I hate to waste food, but I'm trying to eat healthier so hot cocoa is a no-go. And I don't want to give it to my kids because then they'll expect more.

Latest posts