Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
do copperheads eat groundhogs, rabbits, raccoons, chipmunks, mice or deer? if so i like them.

Welcome to my neck of the woods. If you really like snakes, there are Shawnee national forest service guided tours for snake road in southern Illinois. They are getting ready to shut the road down for 3 weeks starting September first for the fall migration

PS. enjoy the videos 😁

PSS. Don't ask me you go with you, I've seen enough snakes of my own this year 😁

PSSS I'm safe from snakes with my guard kitties, guarding me 👍
IMG_20220827_153252976~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I do not have but 1.5 acres and fenced it because of baby deers coming and with chickens, I was afraid of a predator would come after the deer and find an easy chicken dinner.
However. I dislike Wyndottes. Had 3 and for nothing in the world in a year could integrate them with my original 6. Culled them and cooked one and it was like leather and the taste was horrible. Was the breed or something I did wrong? I just cut under throat, put in hot water to remove feathers, cut open and removed all. Saved the gizzard and heart. Then, after super wahing, put them on ziplock bags and freezer them. As part of self-sufficient, would like to get meat birds but if they taste like that, I guess walmart will still have my wallet. I am so new to this, so sorry
Store bought chicken is YOUNG, like 8 weeks or some such.

Home grown chicken is usually much older... we usually eat ours at 6 months to a year, it is great meat, AS LONG AS you cook it at LOW heat! Low and slow!

So... if you are using it for soup, NEVER let the water boil. If the water boils the meat will be shoe leather tough. Super low simmer is the max heat.

Last edited:

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Kitties do not deal with snakes! What they DO deal with is mice that snakes like for dinner. So.....a round about way of dealing 😊 helps but doesn't prevent.

Deer are well fed here due to a lot of corn and pnut grown in area, plus winter wheat. I don't hunt BUT could take out a few most any evening at or on my property. It can be great meat, cooked correctly. Of course, I raise goats, so meat available.
Our ranch cats would go after snakes. They would hunt them down.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I do not have but 1.5 acres and fenced it because of baby deers coming and with chickens, I was afraid of a predator would come after the deer and find an easy chicken dinner.
However. I dislike Wyndottes. Had 3 and for nothing in the world in a year could integrate them with my original 6. Culled them and cooked one and it was like leather and the taste was horrible. Was the breed or something I did wrong? I just cut under throat, put in hot water to remove feathers, cut open and removed all. Saved the gizzard and heart. Then, after super wahing, put them on ziplock bags and freezer them. As part of self-sufficient, would like to get meat birds but if they taste like that, I guess walmart will still have my wallet. I am so new to this, so sorry
I found the thread for the first batch of Cornish Cross I raised.

Latest posts