Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i have used 8 inch floppy disks, and also the smaller versions that were common when the IBM PCs were first coming out. up until a few years ago i had a working one for any disks that people might want help getting things off of, but i've since gotten rid of about a whole closet full of old computer stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk#/media/File:Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg

File:Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg

hmm, can't get either of those to show up right so i dunno what's going on there but that should work if clicked on... :)

the first two versions 8 inch and 5&1/4 inch were definitely floppy so the name was apt. the smaller 3&1/2 inch had a harder shell so they weren't what i'd call floppy, but they did show up on the computers under the floppy disk drive interfaces so that name still is used for those (even if it isn't fitting).

nowadays people mostly use USB sticks or do everything on the cloud (so no physical media is required at all), if there are wireless gadgets for transporting stuff around i've not looked into those. no need for them by me...
Floppy disks? I have a lot of those somewhere, lol
I also have vhs tapes and player which still works and used them. Yeap, I am that age,lol

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When we moved up here the local hardware store still had dot matrix printers.

They only upgraded 2 years back.

I LOVED going in there and getting my receipt from the dot matrix printer! Ah! The memories!!

they still make them and have USB connections. :) not sure about wireless.

there are certain applications and work environment where dot matrix is still a good fit.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bards Tale on the Amiga was great, but i didn't get enough time to play it.

as in another throw back to ancient times up until a few years ago i used to keep a spreadsheet in MultiPlan that i could run in dosbox on my linux setup. finally one year i converted those to libreoffice calc and i've been happy with that since then.

oh and at one time i did have a Paradox database but i didn't use it for very much.