Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My test project this last week with the clay. Little over 4.5 pounds and just a little bit too wet for using so that I can work some sand or grog into it. Im going to make a coil pot and cook it in a firepit to see if I can.

The raw material.

20220813_201808.jpg

After breaking up into water, filtering out rocks and large sand, then draining and drying.

20220829_193956.jpg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
We had a Commodore 64 from my aunt. My youngest brother learned to read on it. We all learn some BASIC. My parents had saved up for a 64c when they came out because my aunt insisted that it was important for kids in the 80s to know how to use a computer. Mom used it for spreadsheets. So we had a disc drive, printer, joysticks, and the quick load cartridge that hooked into the back so Bards Tale only took half an hour instead of an hour to load. Youngest brother has it now and restored it. The games load off the floppy disks just fine still. Dry desert air for preservation.

My grade school got Commodores in the library when I was in 4th grade I think. So math and word games with the rare Oregon Trail.

Typing was a required class in 9th grade and one of the most useful I think. Took a while to learn to not double space after periods when using a computer later on. Hubby has always been a bit jealous of my typing skill even though I offered to help him and even pointed out programs we could get to teach him. I'm not a super fast typer. Last type we tested me I was only around 62 wpm. Only kept up at that speed because I played online MMOs for 20 years and typing is talking.
I miss my C64. Had several friends gift me all their games when they upgraded to IBM PC. Somewhere near 100 in total.

Sold everything related at a garage sale to a woman with a couple small kids for $1. She wouldn't take "free". Major clutter gone at the time.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My test project this last week with the clay. Little over 4.5 pounds and just a little bit too wet for using so that I can work some sand or grog into it. Im going to make a coil pot and cook it in a firepit to see if I can.

The raw material.

View attachment 20111

After breaking up into water, filtering out rocks and large sand, then draining and drying.

View attachment 20112
Fun project

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's the last day of August. We're knocking on the "ber" months. It won't be long and we'll be running the heat.

Is it just me or has time sped up? Where did the summer go?
I know that feeling but this year I'm going to have 2 fireplaces (one runs on electric and a real wood one for when power goes out) and from what I've seen of the Farmers Almanac it's going to be colder and stormy earlier this year than it normally is. It does seem like this year and the entire summer has flown by.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Agreed summer has come and gone quicker than normal. @Country homesteader I heard this winter is going to be brutal. Going to start winter prepping the barn and coop in Sept this year. Thankful we have 90% of our wood cut and stacked already.

Found out my dog has bone cancer in her hip yesterday, vet gave us one month of pain pills with a 2 month estimated time left. I am so sad, my heart broke a bit yesterday. She is 9 and was my Mother's Day gift when she was 6 weeks old.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score