Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happy morning to yall! Coffee is ready, on my second cup. Pouring rain woke me up at 3:30 AM. That means my road will be sloppy mud, water over the road in places and why didn’t I buy a 4 wheel drive? Because I didn’t know I would find my Utopia 2 miles from pavement……

New addition to the farm yesterday. Brownie had a pretty little ewe lamb. Brownie is registered so I can send off for registration papers on the lamb. She will join the flock. My registered flock is growing!

IMG_5676.jpeg

IMG_5682.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My sister is home! Her friend sent me this picture. My sis has her back to the camera. Dogs are in the canoe. The other lady is her neighbor’s teenage daughter who went to Waco today in a school competition. Her boyfriend has a canoe and is walking through the water, taking them both home.

Just talked to my sister, water has receded. She is mopping, her son will be there tomorrow to drag rugs out to dry, and help her. Her refrigerator is toast. Refrigerator in the garage still works. She is happy to be home.

Attachment.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thursday I got a deal on 26 T-posts, still with insulators for hot wire on them, 8 treated wood posts and a 16’ wire filled gate. All for $200! New price is $605, so I did pretty good.

Yesterday I learned how to hitch the stock trailer all by myself. It took me 45 minutes. Then I learned how to back the trailer to the loading chute. That only took me 15 minutes! LOL. Then loaded 4 sheep, parked truck and trailer. Fed and watered sheep and will head out to auction shortly.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello to you all , I know, It's been a very long time. I pray this finds you well.
We have been busier than folks our age should be.
We got all moved last January and I work hard at unpacking and getting the house set up most of February.
March -May was filled with clearing all left overs from the previous owners. Taking down their extremely disgusting attempt at a chicken & duck area, hand digging up sod to make a garden area, moving, 2 wheelbarrows at a time, a dump truck load of organic garden soil up from the driveway to the new garden, with a weed eater cutting a 1/4 acre of pasture grass that was planted for sheep, getting huge burn pile knocked out, AND, planting a garden from seed on May 15th. We had to put in a new well pump, a new pressure tank, a new wood stove in the living room and have the chimney repaired.
In June got a conex container to use as a storage shed so DH could use the garage for his knife shop. And started building a new chicken coop. It is close to the house so I can keep an eye on them. It is 8X12 with a 8X12 covered area and a 24X24 run covered in hard wire cloth. Boy was it a hard project, but we made it through and got it done just a few days before I picked the new chicks at the post office on July 13th.
I got 16 hens and 1 rooster Welsummers. BUT I received 3 Roosters, I suspected these 3 were by week 3 and at week 9 #1 crowed, week 10 #2 and #3.
I waited to see how their behavior was before culling 2. #1 was a bit aggressive with the chicks at week 4 and wanted to challenge me at week 10. #2 fought with #1 and didn't let me pick him up. #3,,, he was friendly with all the hens and let me pick him up so he was the winner. I named him Cornelius. Garys grandfather had that name and his dad, they are Dutch. I did have one pullet that was sick, I truly believe she had Mericks, I did have all the chicks vaccinated but this one went lame, could hardly walk and had soars under her wings. so i have 12 hens and 1 rooster. I hope to hatch a clutch next spring.

So now October is almost over. We still need to build the nesting boxes and I want to put a rain gutter on the downside of the roof. We have a pile of plastic to go to the dump and a scrap metal. We have all of the firewood cut and stacked, I did all the canning, and we are ready for winter.

Last edited: