Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The phone company conference call is at 11am this morning. Wife, FIL, store staff, and corporate help desk all on the line.

Tickets start at $25 each to attend the call. Seats are limited, act now

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hermes is a nut. Athena can't move her rear legs well enough anymore for proper wrestling so she sits down and he rolls and wrestles with her front end.

20230330_185521.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been outside all morning, grazing the ewes and lambs in the yard. It needed mowing, still does but only in places. I counted up all my ewes, including two that aren’t even a week old yet, and total is 29 ewes!

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Mini Horses and I had a great day at the Gilmanor Poultry Swap that has turned into a \HUGE / as in Gigantic poultry swap, flea market type deal. Weather was absolutely gorgeous on Saturday although the sun got hot after noon time... Walked and talked for hours... nice way to celebrate my milestone birthday.....70.....
How the HE// did I get this old?????

Bought a big coyote sized live trap and might be able to catch some of the more "wiley" groundhogs in the garden with it and whatever other varmints I get in and around the chickens.

Sunday was cloudy, light rain, sprinkles, so got the rest of the peppers picked out of the garden, then inside for the wetter afternoon, and got them sliced and vacuum packed, so that part of the garden is done. Took some tomatoes to @Mini Horses and now the project is weed eating the garden so I can get in and start digging the potatoes and mark and weigh each variety... wanting to do some comparisons on growth and such... and then have some to sell at the fall farmers market here close. I basically want to pay for the seed potatoes I bought and have plenty for me and maybe make a little so I can do it next year again.... They are an easy crop overall... and the deer don't bother them and so I can have them and concentrate the other "deer and groundhog" preferred crops in a more protected garden area with the electric netting.... and maybe make the garden pay a little back too. I am probably going to get an older extra fridge to store them in so they are in climate controlled conditions.... if I go into this in a bigger way next year.
Have some fun ones, a variety called pinto, that are actually a spotted fingerling variety that are fun to dig... contrasting big yellow spots on a reddish skin....

Got to get things ready to get back to testing cows tomorrow... back to the grindstone....

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
happy fall everyone.
I have been so behind on everything, so figured it might be time to catch things up.
They’ve decided to move in a sandlot and forty some houses on my road. Well, the sandlot between my road and the one behind us. Some of us fought, some people were already trying to get elected as mayor. How do they think they’re going to build the infrastructure for all this? I don’t even think they know. On the bright side, we now have a TSC 15 minutes down the road. No lie, it’s actually nice to have one so close.
College math is kicking my tail, but I’m fighting.
Two weeks ago my boyfriend shipped off for Navy boot camp. I’m so proud of him, but no contact yet and we’ve been given multiple different addresses. His parents are sending test letters to some, I’m sending to others. Being an army brat it’s a little familiar, but different from this side and age of it. Trying not to go stir crazy…
I’m seriously late finding a ram, at least my girls don’t seem to be in heat yet. I can’t even find any on local listings right now. Need to build a shelter so we have plenty in the winter and as babies come.
Chicken coop needs repair. We’ve had several fox sightings lately. I honestly feel bad for them, they’re unbelievably skinny. If their homes weren’t being destroyed they wouldn’t be at my house. But it is what it is.
And working to get anti-human trafficking resources to the college and people.
Who allowed me to be an adult? I think their license might need revoked.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have 5 White Dorper ewes, from Ridgetop on BYH. She and her husband brought them from California. I was so excited to have them, I to incorporate them into my flock in the Katahdin breed up program. Bred to a registered Katahdin ram, the offspring can be recorded as half, breed the half to a registered ram, that offspring can be recorded as 3/4. Third generation is eligible for full registration if they can pass inspection at a year old. The White Dorpers have big meaty butts, much bigger than most Katahdins. They also keep a matted wooly thatch on their backs, desirable in South Africa, to protect them from the scorching sun. Katahdins must have a good hair coat and clean shed of their winter wool. So in my breed up program, I’ll be selecting for improved confirmation and in clean hair coats. I’m excited to start on this journey!

Last night, P 15, named Granny for her sweet face, gave birth to a much awaited ewe lamb. Due Monday, 3 days later, I was chewing fingernails! Feeding dogs last night, I heard loud grunting and groaning. Upon investigation, Granny had a nose and one foot sticking out and obviously the baby was stuck. I reached in and found the other foot and pulled. It was a big single. I’m pretty sure it’s a ewe lamb, I’ll get a better look in a few minutes when I go do chores.

Meet the first lamb of first generation on a journey that will take approximately 4 years.

IMG_5459.jpeg

IMG_5460.jpeg

IMG_5462.jpeg