Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But more importantly don't forget about the Smurfs, Smurf lives matter! Some people are so weird... 3500 Smurfs, toys in the attic.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
SARS and MERS (closely related diseases) spread easily as well. Covid-19 seems to spread even easier like the cold and long before symptoms show. Doesn't help that kids are little Typhoid Marys. Health issues and age are factors.

I had to explain to Mom last night that those disinfecting wipes they've had at grocery stores for years are useless and a waste. It doesn't get into nooks and crannies on the cart handle which has a lot of both. She said that they washed carts weekly when she was a teen but that doesn't happen now.

I'd taken her a big bottle of hand sanitizer last year and a travel bottle to refill. Told her to use it regularly when out in town. It does help reduce chances for catching flu and cold. She has asthma same as me. Skipping the months of coughing versus just using sanitizer are worth it. I still have a bit of cough from Thanksgiving.

I know I have a health risk from any respiratory disease so I take logical steps. Face masks aren't one of those as they don't actually do much. Not touching your face without washing is very hard. Humans touch their faces a lot.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All points well made. I have asthma. Hubby is a diabetic. We are both over 63. We've been having quite the go-around getting his medications. Took about 2 weeks to get his pancreatic enzymes. Cost >$2K for a 2 month supply. After insurance, we paid $640 for a 3 month supply. And pharmacist gave a lot of reassurance, "Well you know, that right now, all medications are in short supply." Seriously? ... without insulin or enzymes, hubby is a dead man.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
So, today a private, medium sized college in Kentucky cancelled the entire semester. Classes must be finished by Friday, and residents moved out by Saturday due to the Coronavirus. Simultaneously, a county in New York is under quarantine...

Wow.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Way to go good ol' USA. Our death rate from CV infection is 3.9% while world wide is 3.5%. Compare this to influenza death rate of .1%.
Rather than blame the government, or the medical community, I'd say a large portion of the blame should go to the SAD (Standard American Diet). Lack of nutrients due to highly processed, starch-heavy foods have contributed to low health of the overall population. The elderly tend to have even worse diets; due to loss of some of their sense of taste, and sometimes because of challenges of cooking when mobility-challenged or simply because they live alone and it's too much trouble, they tend to stop cooking and go for simple-to-fix items like frozen dinners (my mother ate the exact same frozen dinner every night for over a decade that I know of) or other ready to eat things (my grandmother-in-law subsisted on a diet of saltines and bologna).

The folks in nursing homes not only tend to be more fragile, but they are living in much closer quarters than most of us (multiple beds in the same room, communal dining and leisure, etc). I also can't help but recall a big stink in England several years ago when it came out that a lot of the residents were dying of simple dehydration-- particularly those that weren't getting regular visits from their families.

Our "broken" health care system is what the Canadians (among others with socialized medicine) go to when they can't get the care they need in their own country.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And yet no matter what the news says, King county here has lots of people out and about shopping. All the companies and schools that have gone to work from home hasnt actually helped because people see that as more time to be out and about shopping instead of staying away from others.

We have a few cases in our county and people have gone into a mass consume frenzy. But not staying home either.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, today a private, medium sized college in Kentucky cancelled the entire semester. Classes must be finished by Friday, and residents moved out by Saturday due to the Coronavirus. Simultaneously, a county in New York is under quarantine...

Wow.

Berea College President Lyle Roelofs announced Tuesday that the school would cancel the remainder of the spring semester due to the coronavirus threat.

New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D) on Tuesday announced schools, places of worship and other large gathering spots within a one-mile zone of the city of New Rochelle will close their doors for 14 days, and National Guard troops will help deliver food and disinfect common areas inside the zone.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Been to a nursing home lately? I have. The folks that are there are definitely there for a REASON. A health related reason. They are there because they are medically fragile and can't be taken care of at home. It is quite possible that many of them had DNR's because they know they won't recover from a serious illness of any type.
@frustratedearthmother my wife has been mentioning the possibility of DNRs adding to the situation, too! Great minds!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe you missed it yesterday? If you did, do yourself a favor and watch the video linked below.

Screenshot_2020-03-10-18-48-22.png

Screenshot_2020-03-10-18-48-34.png

Watch the entire video here --->

Please remember... Now, more than any, is a time to be united. Not to be pointing fingers, not to be encouraging hate. It's a time of prayer, of loving your neighbor, helping and encouraging each other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts