Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Everclear! My silly DH bought two bottles of it. I doubt we'll ever drink it so I might as well figure out how to use it for disinfecting something!

i'd just keep it in case i needed to make an extraction/tincture/drunk or disinfect a wound in the future apoocalypse or perhaps even as a cough syrup ingredient since whisky may not be in supply.

to me disinfecting during general cleaning is often an erronious line of thought, as soon as you clean a surface it starts right back getting new bacteria, viruses, etc. yes, i do want things not gunky and smelly, but i have no illusions about sterilitiy and that is what people think they are getting when they use bleach, vinegar, alcohol, etc.

and to be specific about vinegar, yes it does work as a cleaner as does rubbing alcohol or other alcohol, but distilled vinegar isn't that expensive by the gallon compared to vodka so i'd use distilled over [edit i meant alcohol not vinegar] any time if i had to pick for that purpose. more general cleaning i do with as little soap as possible that gets the job done.

Last edited:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I had that little nudge today to go to the grocery store on my way back home from the barn this morning at 7am. I'm GLAD I did. $130 later... :oops: I feel like I'm set. I picked up some more veggies, all fresh because there was NOTHING frozen or canned. Most things had at least some stock on the shelves, although I took 2 loaves of bread, and there were probably half a dozen left after that (at least of the normal bread, not the unusual specialty kinds). There was no sour cream, though, which was disappointing. I also picked up the supplies to do my corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot again, after all it is St Patrick's day. I'll do that later this week after I've used up some of the fresh stuff first. I was even able to get 2 boxes of gloves and 2 bottles of hand sanitizer (the limit). The lady in front of me in line had about a dozen + bottles of hand sanitizer, and looked real mad when the cashier told her that she could only have 2. I was like yeahhhh you gotta let the rest of us have some too. The store wasn't busy, yet, which was nice, and I was able to pretty easily get everything done that I needed to. I'm just hoping that from here on out they'll be able to manage the levels and that people will be past the major panic. It just shows how dependant we have become as a collective on just popping into the store to get it. I think those in Europe are probably in an even trickier spot, they often go to 'market' daily or every few days, and they often don't have large storage areas to keep extras in like we do here in the US (despite many people, being prepared is a sort of semi-ingrained thing in us from our history).
I believe it is going to get worse before it gets better, and I just pray that they are ramping up fast enough to keep up with the demands.
Amazon is halting all non-emergent shipments. They will only be shipping medical supplies and groceries based on the articles that I have seen. They're also majorly ramping up shipping and trying to hire people as quickly as possible. They've put a temporary pay increase in place as well to give people more incentive.
Very interesting times!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I learned one of my SIL cant think anywhere ahead. She's almost out of baby wipes because she only buys one at a time and only when the last is out. My autistic 7 year old nephew will only allow her to use wipes on him. So she hit my Mom up thinking she might have some. Mom never has any. All nieces are out of diapers. So she was whining and crying about it. Mom decided to be outside Walmart when it opened this morning in hopes of finding some (and bar soap. Moms getting low and hasn't been able to get. Lack of store thing there.)

I'm expecting them to ask her for food soon too. That isn't right as my parents are on a fixed income and only store for 2. An extra 4 people would take all theirs.

My other brother isn't going near my parents for 2 weeks. They went to a kids bday party in Seattle on Saturday and are being cautious.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
WI is closing bars and restaurants at 5 p.m today other than take-out. School closure has extended to "indefinitely". I'm secretly pleased. I was reading that 60% of [people who identify with a specific political party] are NOT taking measures to prevent spreading the virus. That's a lot of people not washing hands and not staying home.

The panic is calming down here. People are finding the things they need by people sharing which stores are stocked with what items. Tampons are apparently in short supply. I hadn't even thought of it since I've been using a menstrual cup for so many years. People are working together to deliver groceries and necessities to those who must stay in.

But I think this is just the first wave of shopping for stocking up. Only 40% of people have stocked up. Eventually the other 40 - 50% will be forced to by necessity. And that doesn't add up to 100% because there are preppers and people who are always prepared or already shop infrequently.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A co-worker was complaining because there was no Formula in the store and she is almost out for her 3 month old. People are hoarding BABY FORMULA because it lasts longer than Dry Milk Powder. Now, those that need it for their babies can't find any. So sad.
The family dollar here pulled the baby wipes and formula off the shelves so mothers could get it for there babies. The girls that work there got tired of people that didn't need any of that stuff taking them.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Yesterday witnessed a lady older than me berate the pharmacist because the local drug store was out of thermometers. A shipment was due today and the woman was incensed the store wouldn't hold one for her. Was in again tonight (grrr, the struggle continues) and the new stack of thermometers hadn't been touched. Pharmacist asked me if I wanted one. I laughed saying I could have sold that woman one last night, we have three (temporal, electronic, and oral). Good times. *saracasm*

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Vodka was on my mental list, but didn't make it to my written list. So... no vodka for us, but... we'll be buying it if and when we are in town and find it. We are set with white vinegar, 2 gal. I saw bleach being sold at > $6.00/gal... Since when has bleach been that stupid expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts