Could you live without internet for a week?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We haven't had internet at home for almost 1 year (October).

We come to the library to access, which means very limited access, as there are only 10 computers and they are timed for 30 minutes per user. The librarians allow some exceptions for projects, job/university applications, etc, but they have to be notified before you sign up for a computer so they can remove the timer.

Limited access makes us actually plan what we are going to do once we get to the computer, but I find I'm rarely reading news or blogs or visiting sites I "couldn't live without" when we had 24/7 internet at home. :D

ETA: I think it would be easy to live w/out internet, but I would miss ss and a couple other sites I visit frequently.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
What a world this has become, where that seems like a reasonable question to ask even in jest :p

I wonder what fraction of our fellow humans have no internet access at all. I would guess it is at least 50%. Quite possiby a lot more.

Pat

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Yes I could do it, my house would be super amazingly clean and shiney !! :p
:lol: Most of my outside chores would be done rather quickly! :gig

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
we have been going without tv for longer and longer periods of time....it kills me to be off of this forum in particular for more than a few days and the kids do a lot of educational stuff online with us homeschooling. I don't have a lot of people that understand what I'm doing so this forum is like my extended family. I look up a lot of stuff that the kids ask about that I don't know. I can't just jump in the car and whisk off to the library everytime they ask me something and want to know NOW.

It would be hard....that's for sure!

I might just have to throw a fit...... :hit

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Yes I could do it, my house would be super amazingly clean and shiney !! :p
Mine too, not to mention that all my at work work would get done instead of stacked in a corner on my desk waiting for me to get around to it.

Seriously though - I have gone without internet at home for weeks. Just because I can, not because I had to. Its entertainment and killing time mostly for me. At work its necessary, but I do spend a lot of time playing. That may be why going without at home is so easy.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of people that understand what I'm doing so this forum is like my extended family.
aint that just right!

most folks think i'm completely out of my mind.. altho the haters are circling more and more and asking for eggs
;-)

and its a great way to share information - no reason to keep reinventing the same ol, same ol.. especially us with our "heritage" skills and all. its not like we can call up grandma and ask.

altho.. if i called up Grandma Nettie i'm sure we would have a hootenanny!

:)

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
im going to try when i move prolly only cause i will have to be without

my mom tells me all the time

if you werent on the comp so much you could have a clean house

my response

i leave my house a mess so i can be on the comp so much

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm home by myself most of the time and this is my way of "talking" to people. Sure I would get more done and could find other things to do but the animals just don't answer back when you talk to them. :)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Not a problem for me. We don't have internet access at home, which I am glad for . . . too much else to do. I appreciate being able to look up information on-line and I really enjoy the range of entertainment and news possibilities that the internet offers, but I can live without those things just fine.

Those who rely completely on the internet for looking up information would do well to buy a few reference books like the "Encyclopedia of Country Living." When I am home and have an SS question, that is where I turn and I nearly always get a high quality answer. Imagine what you would do if you had to look something vitally important up (like how to sterilize water for drinking purposes) and you happened to be having a power outage at the time? It is always good to have a back-up (hard copy) source of information handy. :)

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know I could.

I used to depend heavily on it for social interaction, entertainment, and information. Then I moved to an even more isolated place, alone, where I couldn't have it. And didn't get any tv signal or radio signal, cable wasn't available, no cell reception, and no landline.

That was where I hit my withdrawal. ;)

I've been without it for months since then too. Just got it back not too long ago, which is probably why I'm here so much. I actually got a tv antannea that works too, but I find I only watch the Cosby show and once or twice late night I Love Lucy. Haven't seen anything else on network that interests me. Prime time I'm taking care of animals anyway.

I admit I like to have a DVD running sometimes, turn on the radio, and read the forums. Just to hear another human voice, or "talk" to someone. I talk to my animals all the time but like Karen said, they don't talk back.

Butvi have neighbors I can chat with, I get out to go to church and they are becoming family. I like the Internet, but I don't NEED it. Ihave lots of books I can look up some questions in. Could use some more categories.

But yup, I know I can do it. :) But it WAS hard the first time.