Dawn419 & doc's LSTA: Confounded Computer!!!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had rain yesterday and more today, too! We really need it but I'm starting to feel a bit waterlogged. Supposed to be nice tomorrow but we've got a 70% chance of rain tomorrow night. :idunno Not sure when I'll ever get to work in the garden beds at the rate things are going right now. :th

About the only good thing about the rain is that I've got a tooth bothering me so at least I'm not wasting perfect weather feeling down in the dumps. :lol:

We were planning a trip to Middle TN at the end of the month but it has fallen through and been put off until the spring. As much as I was looking forward getting to visit my other home and see my extended/adopted family there's just so much we need to do around here before winter sets in. It'll also give us a lot more time to arrange visits as we have a buddy that we'd love to catch up with in East TN and we know he'll want to keep us for atleast one night of catching up.

My Kombucha starter kit arrived yesterday (11th) and I wasn't expecting it until today or later, so that was a nice suprise. Got it started last night after doc went to bed. He keeps asking me question about what am I gonna do when, how do I need to do whatever and just told him to be patient...I'm suffering from information overload right now and I just don't know! :gig

Well, gonna close this for now but will do a picture post tomorrow...still need to get them off of the camera!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Know how ya feel on all the rain. We had a ton of gray days at the beginning of the month. Only problem being, we didn't get much rain from them. And, now that I have my pasture all weeded and NEED the rain so I get get down the fertilizer and lime, other than a slight chance of showers on Monday, there's no rain in the forecast. That's good and bad. I need to get in more wood, so it's good, but I really need the rain out at the farm. Maybe it could rain there but not here? :D

ETA: Hope your tooth feels better soon. There's nothing worse than a toothache! :hugs

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs Thanks, Deb! Feeling much better today! :hugs

Beautiful day here but on the warm side...78F. It's amazing just how toasty it felt after highs in the upper 50's - lower 60's! I almost broke a sweat while cleaning the buns' poop trays! :lol:

The beds are still too wet to mess with and we've got more rain on the way sometime later tonight. :th So after I did the rabbits trays, I bagged up the "gold" and leaves to take to mom, then I pulled some weeds, got all the critters fed/watered and Cheyenne and I spent the afternoon in the woods! :cool: I should have moved the cut-up wood out from the orchard BUT it's soaking wet and heavy so I put that chore off...again! :hide

Chey and I headed back to the ginseng patch to see if any of the springs/seeps were doing anything but they weren't. Glad we took the walk anyways as the air smelled soooo good and like Fall is supposed to smell! ;) The trees are really getting geared up with their colors, too. Found a few cool 'shrooms, also, and atleast two of them are edible. :drool One is the Coral Mushroom and the other is a Bear's Head Tooth Mushroom.

Some cool pix from yesterday, when the fog rolled in:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

From the last civilized visit at moms...one of the many "suspect" Paw Paw saplings:

ry%3D400

Smoke and Cheyenne keeping docs' seat warm:

ry%3D400

Well, that was quick...it's raining already! We're getting the small cell right now, looking forward to the nasty stuff coming in behind it. :hide

http://prntscr.com/hei7g

Gonna get off of here for now and see if I can get some pix uploaded before the storm gets here. :frow

Denim Deb

Reaction score
How dry is it still where you are?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Well, it's as dry as the Mojave Desert.........................................................................................after a monsoon! :gig

Ended up with 3/4th of an inch of rain after the storms moved through this morning. Supposed to be nice tomorrow (civilized visit, so won't be home) and Tuesday, rain chances again all day Wednesday. :th It is starting to be reminiscent of our first October out here, almost, except in 9/09 the rain was a lot more consistent. :rolleyes:

Spent most of today cutting back blackberries that are resprouting from when I did the clean-up to move the Chick-n-Barn. I've got a nice carpet of chickweed coming up in that area so I want to keep the brambles trimmed down, as the chickens and rabbits love these greens and it will grow all winter long here. Yay for free critter food! :D

I've been challenging myself to ID/learn atleast one new plant (tree,herb, wildflower, mushroom) a month and October has been a phenomenal learning month. :celebrate It started with the American Dittany/Wild Oregano, learned the 2 edible mushrooms yesterday and today I was able to ID our Black Gum trees and the Possumhaw aka Winterberry bush that I came across on yesterdays' walk. :cool:

The Hickories and Black Gum in their fall splendor:

603_pa149728.jpg

The Black Gums' fiery background display for the garden:

603_pa149729.jpg

The Green Onions I transplanted from my sis. She works in the school cafeteria and brought these home for us. Mom and I decided to plant them before they went bad on us. And, ummm, Cheyenne letting y'all know just how big they are! :gig

603_pa149726.jpg

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Good for you on learning the different plants. And, the pics look nice, as always.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, I like the colors. Thanks for posting the pics. :thumbsup

We have thick conifer forests here... cedar, Douglas fir, hemlock, larch, white pine... white spruce and grand fir up above in the slopes. It's mainly the birches that give fall color down at the valley bottoms, and then it's just yellow.

We've planted some trees on our place that go orange or red in the fall, and a few that stay red in their leaves all year. I guess we felt envious of people in places like yours! :idunno

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you Deb! :hugs

You're so welcome, Joel! :hugs

I'll gladly share our fall colors with you! Once the leaves are off the trees, I'll be begging you for pix of greenery! :gig We have some cedars on the land and that's about it, as far as any green we'll see, tree-wise, during the winter.

Did our civilized visit yesterday. Finished weeding moms' little lettuce bed and got some lettuce and mesclun mix seed sown. When we go back on Saturday, we'll work on getting the plastic up around the short fence and get the lid placed on top and ready for use. :cool:

We took the dogs for a walk down to the pond, and was glad to see that the rain we've been getting has gotten the level up some. We got so tickled at Cheyenne, though. She got down to the waters edge, got her feet wet and had a case of the rips set in. She goes tearing along the shallow edge, happy as can be and then "splash"...she hit a low spot and completely dunked heself! :gig Didn't slow her down a bit and it managed to get her even more wound up! She paid us back for laughing at her by coming over to us and giving herself a good shake! :lol:

Started on a project using the mini pallets (39" long x 18" wide) that mom brought me. Decided to take them apart and build a small plant shelf that will sit on my seat cushion and be home to our 3 orchids. Will post pix as soon as I get it done. ;)

Well, gonna close this for now and continue the quest of finding that area of seat cushion! :gig

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I love your pictures, very nice place and nice looking dog! :thumbsup

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pretty! Fall is my fave season, and we don't get much colour here--just yellow aspens/poplars, the bright berries on the rowans/mountain ash, and the short time that our cotoneaster hedge goes red before the leaves drop. Love the onions as well, some of mine didn't grow too much after they got crowded by other things so I've left them in the ground to see if they'll come back in the spring and put on some more growth.