Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
one thing important to me is that my space be my space. when i moved here to be with Mom the only way that is possible is that she doesn't get a say in how my room looks and she doesn't get into my stuff.

i'm a clutter kind of person, but i don't leave dirty clothes on the floor or wet towels rotting in the closet and i don't leave food on dishes laying around. i just am a horizontal organizer. out of sight is out of mind for me. so if i'm working on a project it is out on the desk or sitting somewhere where i can see it.

Mom will comment about the desk being full of things but while it may be layered and a bit dusty it isn't smelly or disgusting to me. :)

so perhaps the key for the kids to be clean enough is to say "I don't care what your room looks like as long as it doesn't have: X, Y and Z" and you can close the door the rest of the time.

this way it becomes less of a power struggle and you can let that energy go into more useful pathways? at least that is how i've been trying to train Mom. haha... :)

and of course, good luck, you'll need it, but with children at least you have a chance of getting some training into them. like, i can do my own laundry, i do cook and clean and know how to take care of things here, completely can do it all on my own and could from a relatively early age. i was almost orphaned in terms of taking care of myself when my parents divorced so i was forced to be on my own a great deal of the time, this was not a harm to me, it made me quite strong and independent. i knew when i needed help and could ask for it too but it also taught me about where my own strengths were (and still are :) ). i still consider Mom my best-friend in this world and we get along great, but that doesn't mean we aren't quite different people too. so of course we do have our conflicts and arguments, but then we get past them. :)
I got more fussy with DS14's room when he was 7 because he would stash candy wrappers and rotting fruit and everything else you could imagine. (Cue insect and rodent infestations) One time I saw him spit half-chewed leftovers into a cabinet🤦‍♀️ hello, [undiagnosed] autism. He still has major food stealing/hoarding issues. (It improves dramatically when he doesnt have any access to packaged/processed foods.) I had to remove furniture from his room years ago. His room is just bed, hamper, hooks for clothes. He can't handle anything else.

DS6 doesnt have similar issues, but he believes he can't clean his room by himself. Its frustrating. He has storage drawers under his bed that he uses. He's okay cleaning up toys, but putting clothes away is hard for him.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm resting again today. Slept late.

DH cooked eggs and sausage for breakfast. I told kids no more box cereal because of their food waste. I'm thankful DH is backing me up, I didn't t expect it.

DH is finishing up siding the former corn crib to turn it into a hunting stand / storage shed. Its looking good!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm certainly glad that you figured out what was going on with DS14, but wow such a challenge. i have stories i could tell of children's behaviors from when Mom was being a nanny that would make your stomach turn. some kids just do strange things and some of the things my neices and nephews did until they got older were also quite odd to me.

now that DS14 is doing more cooking and meal planning is he doing better? i think that sort of activity would be good for him. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sleeping more helped a lot. I'm feeling more like myself again. I was able to get a little work done.

DH is putting wood in the basement yesterday. Love that man! :love

I had another 4-H Dog Project meeting to test the curriculum I wrote and teach it to the Leaders. Weekly meetings are going great. :weee

I dont think I can make my deadline for my writing contract, but I'm starting to make progress again since Ive been sleeping more.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DS6 has been sleeping in until 10 a.m. Yikes! I think he needs a little break from school anyway. He has been cranky, sleeping a lot, eating a lot. I shut off the circuits to his bedroom so he wouldn't keep himself up too late. I'm curious what time he will wake up.

I spent all day yesterday working and barely made any progress at all. My boss called and asked if I could turn in review of a chapter by another author and it took me a couple hours to pull it together. It is reviewing and cross-referencing with what I've written to check for any conflicts. It had started it before yesterday but it was still more involved than I expected.

SS projects will have to wait. Time to work. :tongue

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DS6 has been sleeping in until 10 a.m. Yikes! I think he needs a little break from school anyway. He has been cranky, sleeping a lot, eating a lot. I shut off the circuits to his bedroom so he wouldn't keep himself up too late. I'm curious what time he will wake up.
DS6 woke up at 8:30. He hugged me, told me he felt better after "a long sleep." He asked for eggs for breakfast. He ate his scrambled eggs (!), and cottage cheese and an apple. He played with the cat for a little bit. Then he got out his school workbooks, did a page of math (!), then a page of writing (!!), and sat down to read aloud to himself (!!!). :eek:

Contrast that to his recent norm of waking up at 10, refusing to eat, refusing to do school, screaming and making huge messes. Wow.

After years of resistance, I think DH is on board with enforced lights out now. :D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We are getting a cold front with wind and crystallized rain. Just in time for trick or treating - another reason to not go. Not my favorite holiday!!

I had DS14 rake leaves to add to chicken litter. Heated water and heat lamp added to the coop. I installed big rubberized latches to the coop doors.

We cleaned up the yard. I pruned a young maple tree.

I've been reading The Dorito Effect. Amazing book! Worth reading!

Latest posts