Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Buddy is at the shelter settling in.

Splash is settling in at home. :love He's a good boi, but alligator chomps when he is excited. (Not surprised...) He needs close supervision with DS7, but otherwise all is well. He gets along fine with Baymax and Boi. Didnt freak out over sheep or chickens. Rides great in the car. Kennel trained. Clearly was a house pet. He was neutered yesterday, so no running or jumping allowed for 10 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Stayed home and cleaned on Sunday too. We needed it! Kids worked on cleaning rooms. I have learned that if I want DS7 to play alone, DO NOT tell him to go play alone. Tell him to clean his room. Works much better. :gig Room cleaning is the only time he plays with his toys. 😏

Splash's previous neglect created behavior problems, like foraging and drinking out of the toilet. But also housetraining. I wasn't sure - his stress diarrhea covered it up before. He has housetraining issues. He was housetrained. And then was not taken outside for long periods. (I expected this, because his white fur is stained yellow-brown.) He doesn't ask to go outside. He runs off and hides to potty on the floor, or in his kennel. He poops in his kennel at least once overnight, and any time he is kenneled for an extended period of time. He doesn't believe he will get to go out later, so he doesn't hold it.

I think it's manageable. :fl I am modeling the buttons for him. I removed a lot of buttons from the soundboard. It's down to 10 buttons. I'm modeling "outside" button as often as possible. There are bells on my door, and I hung bells on the inside of his kennel door too. Kids have been informed that whining (for any reason!) = potty walk. He might start asking to go outside excessively, as is common when dogs learn to control their environment, but the weather will be cold enough to limit that.

Right now, we start the day with DS15 walking Splash, while I clean out his kennel, handwash the blanket and start laundry. Then bring Splash in and bathe him. Thankfully Splash likes baths and I have a grooming tub in my basement. I was done with clean-up before DH was out of the shower this morning. It's okay for now, but I sure hope this is not permanent.

He's doing awesome in every other way! I can't get over how responsive he is to training. He tries so hard. :love He learns so fast. :love

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have worked extensively with Boi. If anyone could correct him, it would be you. Some animals are just the way they are and nothing can change that. Some animals get so “bred” for certain conformation, color, traits, that somewhere along the way the breeders bred the natural born sense animals have, right out of them. How do you fix an animal whose brains are broken? Then you are faced with hard decisions that nobody ought to have to do. I’m sorry about Boi, but I agree with your decision.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I cancelled my online therapy subscription a couple weeks ago (because I'm doing well and couldn't justify the cost). I got a membership for the local 24/7 gym instead. I picked up my keyless entry card today. Told DH this evening I'm either getting drunk or going to the gym. :gig 50 minutes of cardio helped my mood. I feel a lot better!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Gracie is a little better today. She was able to get off her bed and use the litterbox by herself. She's still not drinking enough.

I moped yesterday. A little better today. (or maybe it's the caffeine?)
  • I hung a closet rod and shelf in my laundry room (with a little help from DH). Finally someplace to put empty hangers. And a little shelf space for dog treats. It's a simple little thing that makes a big difference.
  • My family went to Menards. DH drove an unusual route there. We saw a "free" pile by a driveway. 6 large metal mesh panels. Maybe 2' wide, 6' tall? Too good to pass up! So we strapped them on top of the truck and drove home. Then to Menards and the farm store: ATV battery, salt, chicken feed, hunting snacks for DH.
  • I have an oops-rooster in a rabbit cage in the barn. I decided to have DS15 move the cage to the coop because I think he'll get better care from DS15 if he is in the coop. He's a frizzle so he needs a bit of help to tolerate cold.
Splash is doing well. I have been slacking off on tricks training. His diarrhea and kennel-soiling returned. I think it's resolved (again). I switched his kennel to a smaller (more appropriate) size. Last night, he whined and yipped when he needed to go out - pooped outside each time and kept his kennel clean overnight. I think he has a good prognosis for kennel-soiling, but I'm concerned that his diarrhea could have been caused by the stress/excitement of going to a pet store. I started to transition his food and went to the pet store on the same day, so I don't know. If he gets stress poo from going to the pet store, he might not fit in here long term. :( here's hoping it was from the food... :fl

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This morning, Gracie stood up as if she wanted to go out of her kennel. She has been snuggling and purring on my couch most of the morning. :love

20221115_112941.jpg

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH bid on a car in an online auction. (remember: he gets a car, I get a dog. ;) ) And he pet Splash and tried to play fetch. Splash wasn't going to give up his toy though. :gig

I took Splash to the pet store on Tuesday and let him get all kinds of wild and worked up. He did not have stress poo! :weeeHe's a keeper!