Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am so sorry, such a hard decision to make. I hope that you are able to find peace in your decision. I would be choosing the same avenue if a dog had bit anyone in the family. :hugs
It was a moment of clarity. I feel terrible for Gracie. But no regret for Boi.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have worked extensively with Boi. If anyone could correct him, it would be you. Some animals are just the way they are and nothing can change that. Some animals get so “bred” for certain conformation, color, traits, that somewhere along the way the breeders bred the natural born sense animals have, right out of them. How do you fix an animal whose brains are broken? Then you are faced with hard decisions that nobody ought to have to do. I’m sorry about Boi, but I agree with your decision.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
You have worked extensively with Boi. If anyone could correct him, it would be you. Some animals are just the way they are and nothing can change that. Some animals get so “bred” for certain conformation, color, traits, that somewhere along the way the breeders bred the natural born sense animals have, right out of them. How do you fix an animal whose brains are broken? Then you are faced with hard decisions that nobody ought to have to do. I’m sorry about Boi, but I agree with your decision.
You are right. He was a COVID puppy too - never went anywhere except the vet (once) in his first 11 months. He wasn't trained, and his first family thought he was dangerous just because of the lack of leash training. He lived with another dog that injured him. And they misused an electric training collar. He didn't have a fair start in life. It's really hard for me (emotionally) to feel that I failed him. But logically I know I did everything I could. I learned a lot from him - because of his problems - which has been critical for my CE and career.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I picked up Gracie. She can't walk. 😥 but her mucous membrane color is good, which suggests she is oxygenating fine and no internal bleeding. 🤞 She is in my huge wire kennel with blankets, heat pad, and litterbox. (She might retire to the house yet...)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I cancelled my online therapy subscription a couple weeks ago (because I'm doing well and couldn't justify the cost). I got a membership for the local 24/7 gym instead. I picked up my keyless entry card today. Told DH this evening I'm either getting drunk or going to the gym. :gig 50 minutes of cardio helped my mood. I feel a lot better!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Gracie is a little better today. She was able to get off her bed and use the litterbox by herself. She's still not drinking enough.

I moped yesterday. A little better today. (or maybe it's the caffeine?)
  • I hung a closet rod and shelf in my laundry room (with a little help from DH). Finally someplace to put empty hangers. And a little shelf space for dog treats. It's a simple little thing that makes a big difference.
  • My family went to Menards. DH drove an unusual route there. We saw a "free" pile by a driveway. 6 large metal mesh panels. Maybe 2' wide, 6' tall? Too good to pass up! So we strapped them on top of the truck and drove home. Then to Menards and the farm store: ATV battery, salt, chicken feed, hunting snacks for DH.
  • I have an oops-rooster in a rabbit cage in the barn. I decided to have DS15 move the cage to the coop because I think he'll get better care from DS15 if he is in the coop. He's a frizzle so he needs a bit of help to tolerate cold.
Splash is doing well. I have been slacking off on tricks training. His diarrhea and kennel-soiling returned. I think it's resolved (again). I switched his kennel to a smaller (more appropriate) size. Last night, he whined and yipped when he needed to go out - pooped outside each time and kept his kennel clean overnight. I think he has a good prognosis for kennel-soiling, but I'm concerned that his diarrhea could have been caused by the stress/excitement of going to a pet store. I started to transition his food and went to the pet store on the same day, so I don't know. If he gets stress poo from going to the pet store, he might not fit in here long term. :( here's hoping it was from the food... :fl