Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm leading my budget thoughts with the grocery expenses. It's something I feel in control of, and I get a lot of entertainment out of. I also am quite skilled at it. Before COVID-era inflation, my most severe years of disability, and my restricted diet, I had my grocery budget at $115/month for family of 4!

My biggest convenience cost in my grocery expenses is breads - especially gluten free bread. And premixed gluten free flour. I know it's just mixing in the right amount of xanthan gum, and Google has the answer. I haven't done it yet.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Herxing is kicking my butt today. I'm in a temporary routine of getting DS8 on the bus and going back to sleep for a few hours. Not fun. Hard to keep up on housework this way. I had plans to make a nice dinner and desserts for Yule tomorrow. IDK if I will be able to. I need to bake a yule log cake today so I can fill and roll it tomorrow.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Re: budget, I compiled a list of frugal luxuries people mention online. I was surprised there is a lot of overlap. Good food, sunshine, warmth in winter, cooling in summer, sleep/naps/nice bedding, time alone/meditation, nature. 🥰 I put the list on my phone to help me stay centered.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I feel like myself today. 🤩

I woke up early - at 4:30 a.m. I took kids grocery shopping right away in the morning so we could bake/cook for Yule!

Kids and I made Yule log cakes today. The gluten-free version turned out - rolled up without cracking! It wasn't from a box mix! 🙌 that's HUGE progress in my gluten-free baking /grocery budget! I see lots of "jelly roll" style cakes in our future!

I want to try slicing, putting on skewers, freezing, and then dipping in icing. Probably royal icing. The melting wafers are too fatty for me.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH gave me a dog breed DNA test for Yule. 🤩😍 I've been wanting one but couldn't justify the cost.

My dog can't eat for a half hour before I swab his cheek. I don't trust him to not eat - or my kid to not feed him - so he's wearing a muzzle. I spent >6 months muzzle training, but I've never left it on him for more than a couple minutes before. He doesn't mind. He played soccer with a tennis ball, now chilling on the couch. I'm very proud of my muzzle training. And happy to have a use for it. 😄

I can't wait for results! I expect he will be predominantly Australian Kelpie or Australian Cattle Dog.