Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Good to hear from you :) Glad your wrist is better and the canoeing was fun.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
This forecast is nuts. It just won't stop raining. I think that we've only gotten 1 cutting in so far this season at all, and it wasn't very good because it was WAY too long. Hay prices are going to go through the roof this year :(

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grain prices, also. With the weathr/disasters across the country the supply will be affected for all. There will be some "pockets" where some will be stable locally but, for those of us who use it from a supplier who ships in....bummer!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I had wanted to get all my hay in early. But, my truck kept breaking down and it was so hot for awhile that I wasn't up to getting it. Now, it won't stop raining! Every time I plan on going to the auction, it rains!

I've also barely spread manure this year. My spreader won't spread it if it's wet. And, when it was so hot and dry, I wouldn't spread it because it wouldn't break down. So, I have a pile of it that I will be putting in the pit as soon as I have it ready.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Got soaked on Tuesday! I was cleaning my field, and was almost done when it started to pour! I covered my spreader, put away my mower and went home. But, even though I covered the spreader, I still couldn't spread. I ended up dumping it all. Maybe next week.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, it's finally dried out. Of course, when I plan to go to the hay auction, it will probably rain. If it does, I think I'm just going to buy it from a farmer. I may pay more, but at least I know I'll have it. And, my truck broke down again yesterday and had to get towed-for the 3rd time this year! :he

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate that call a wrecker feeling. You know you need a new truck when the wrecker driver gives you a quantity discount.