Depression/Anxiety

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't see it mentioned yet, but for anxiety and panic attacks I swear by Valerian root. Not just any brand will do though, as the concentration may not be enough. I use GNC's Herbal Plus Standardized Valerian Root. It is 500mg per capsule, 0.8% valerenic acids per 4mg. (for comparison, if you look at buying other brands). It runs about $12 a bottle of 50. The cheap stuff on the shelf at Walmart doesn't cut it. It's got to be strong enough. I take one if I just need to take the edge off. I take 2 if I feel a panic attack coming on. Just knowing I have the bottle with me will generally stop a panic attack from spiralling out of control. LOL

I also take the super B-complex vitamin, as per my mother's recommendation, and it does help. I can usually feel a difference if I've forgotten to take it for a few days.

I think I need the vitamin D from Cod Liver oil too. I have some other symptoms that lead me to believe I'm low on D, especially in the winter.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
NP Tortoise :D

I'm the most anti-med person I know and I am glad that Auntie's husband has his drugs!

Collector

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have anxiety issues, I have been trying different things to try to curb full on panic attacks.the onlything that has worked for me so far is a pill from my Dr. I call it the elephant dart . this will stop a panic attack within 10 mins of taking it. I need to find the bottle it came in to get the proper name, cause I dont think it is actually a elephant dart. I havnt taken one for 6 mos though I had to learn how to control it mentaly. Mind over matter as they say.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Collector said:
I have anxiety issues, I have been trying different things to try to curb full on panic attacks.the onlything that has worked for me so far is a pill from my Dr. I call it the elephant dart . this will stop a panic attack within 10 mins of taking it. I need to find the bottle it came in to get the proper name, cause I dont think it is actually a elephant dart. I havnt taken one for 6 mos though I had to learn how to control it mentaly. Mind over matter as they say.
Any chance that you have MSG in your diet?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have found that an MSG-free diet has no effect on mood or panic disorders.

Collector, I'm guessing that you had a diazepam? Clonazepam is one frequently prescribed for panic attacks and anxiety. Ironic that it takes 10 minutes to work, but panic attacks rarely last longer than 10 minutes. :rolleyes:

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm over 10 years on Effexor XR. What happens if I miss one or purposefully don't take one? The next day, anger, sadness, can cry at the drop of a hat, extreme nightmares. The only good is my constipation is gone.

Now that we have private health insurance, I'm gonna pay horribly for the Rx. I was actually looking to order them from Canada or India to save money.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
tortoise said:

Collector, I'm guessing that you had a diazepam? Clonazepam is one frequently prescribed for panic attacks and anxiety. Ironic that it takes 10 minutes to work, but panic attacks rarely last longer than 10 minutes. :rolleyes:
Thats cool. But it is worth testing out.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
tortoise said:

It sounds logical - there are clinical trials now studying glutamates as related to bipolar disorder. However, glutamates in the diet don't seem to affect neurotransmitters, in my experience. I have not been able to find a Dr. that knows anything about it, but several have suggested it is unlikely for MSG in the diet to affect it. However, I do avoid MSG. Not radically like when I tested it out with an elimination diet, but avoiding processed foods.

ETA: My dog gets 2 t MSG on her dog food everyday (it stops poop-eating), and she hasn't developed brain cooties :gig I know that is totally irrational and irrelveant, but funny to me. :lol:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
tortoise said:

It sounds logical - there are clinical trials now studying glutamates as related to bipolar disorder. However, glutamates in the diet don't seem to affect neurotransmitters, in my experience. I have not been able to find a Dr. that knows anything about it, but several have suggested it is unlikely for MSG in the diet to affect it. However, I do avoid MSG. Not radically like when I tested it out with an elimination diet, but avoiding processed foods.
I know it solved my issues. It took some time trying to figure out the trigger, but when I eliminated it, I had zero issues.
I also have a friend who learned that was her migraine trigger.
So that's why I mention to at least play around with it to see.
It only takes a few days and no money to be sure either way.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yeah, I am not an anti-med type, but if people are eating a healthy (low carb) diet, it can eliminate the need for meds SOME TIMES or make the ones you are taking work better.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO TAKE MEDS IF YOU NEED THEM!!!!

Also.... DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE SO COMPLETELY PSYCHOTIC YOU HAVE TO BE HAULED AWAY IN A WHITE COAT THAT TIES IN THE BACK BEFORE YOU START THEM!!!!!

MAJOR peeve of mine.

It isn't your fault if you have brain cooties. It IS your fault if you do not at least try to manage them. Sure there are times you can't stop the cycle no matter what, but I have seen WAY too many cases where someone tried to ride the mania train and forgot to jump off before the train derailed and then left ME to pick up the mess. :p