Do you grind your own flour from whole grains?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thought I'd start another discussion on this, as I am new at it and LOVING the results. I have only been able to get hard red wheat berries, but thanks to help from sufficientforme, I found reasonably priced varieties in 50# quantities....

Two questions for y'all: What do you like best for bread flour, and for pastry flour? I was thinking of ordering soft white wheat next. There are so many varieties to choose from. I hear it is milder in flavor, and better as a pastry flour. Opinions?

Second: Has anyone made pasta? I have been making it from the hard red wheat so far, and it makes a usable noodle and lasagna noodle. It is a very brittle noodle, though, and a lot of care must be taken or I will end up with noodle crumbs. Once cooked, they remind me of the dumplings grandma put in her soups, which were just white flour and water quickly rolled out and cut into squares and dropped into the boiling stew, very chewy and to my taste. I would like to be able to make a whole wheat pierogi or tortellini but I know the dough I make would not hold up to all that handling, and I cannot find durum or semolina at what I consider to be a reasonable price to make it worth all the trouble. Has anyone had success with one of the other wheats that are more readily avaliable? I called Honeyville Grains today and they no longer offer the pasta grains, no demand for them, and did not know what other wheat might work.

Any other input would be helpful, too. So far, we love the pizza dough we make from the MEN recent no-knead method, I made crackers last night (a bit too strong wheat taste, maybe the soft white will be better?) and the basic pastas. Oh, and some reasonable biscuits and wonderful cornbread, too.

Tell me what you make and what works and what doesn't.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Okay when it comes to grains I am really really stupid. I have some questions for you all too. If I had a grain grinder, does that mean that I can get whole grains from the local feed store for human consumtion? Or is it the same stuff we buy our horses and other livestock
And if it is, do you just pour it in the grinder, shell and all?
I opologize if I 'hijacked your thread freemotion, I have been stumped by all this grain stuff for years and never asked:>) LOL!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have about 350# of red turkey wheat sealed into cannisters in my cellar right now, so I grind my own wheat.....and I love, love, love it! I'm pretty basic and haven't really had the time to experiment around with it~we just make bread, one recipe.

I know you guys will freak, but~I do not own a cook book of any kind! :hide

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Feel free to hijack, isn't that the idea, to get a stimulating discussion going? Just check the original post once in a while so it gets answered eventually!

My first grinding experience came shortly after I got the book: The Encyclopedia of Country Living. I was reading and reading and finally got up and went out to my feed barrels with a couple of sour cream containers and came in with some wheat and some corn. Picked through it and made some pretty amazing cornbread, with saved chicken fat, too. We have a Vitamix, so I could indulge my impulse without purchasing any expensive equipment. We got the Vitamix a couple years ago as an anniversary present to each other (what is more romantic than preparing food for and with each other? I ask you!)

So then the trek to Whole Foods for some hard red wheat, and that was worth the price compared to what my feed store has. Night and day. It is like comparing gnarly, wormy crabapples to beautiful, crisp, organic apples. It literally takes me about 2 minutes to make 2.5 cups of flour, one minute to grind and one minute to open the jar and measure out the wheat and glance through it for stones.

Corn is easy to pick through, so I won't bother buying special corn. The feed corn seems fine to me.

Now I need advice on choosing which varieties to buy in 50# bags! That's how amazingly good it is. You gotta make the switch if you use whole wheat flour anyways.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Free, I would like to find some Shoepeg corn to grind, they say its the very best for cornbread and such! I don't have room to grow it here with my regular crop...don't want any cross pollinating going on.

I know my red turkey wheat practically makes the bread all by itself, it has so much gluten in it! All the time I'm kneading it, it bubbles and works and even stays warmer! I love the taste of it. :)

I think the Vitamix's are great! I bought one for my mom and she grinds her wheat with it as well. Heck, that machine practically does everything but the taxes at her place! Good investment.....and quite romantic, I might add! :) :lol:

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I have about 350# of red turkey wheat sealed into cannisters in my cellar right now, so I grind my own wheat.....and I love, love, love it! I'm pretty basic and haven't really had the time to experiment around with it~we just make bread, one recipe.

Ok, I am going to hijack a little. How do you store your wheat? Did you buy pre-sealed vacuumed or did you do it yourself? I recently purchased 50# of hard white winter wheat and I am not sure if I want to use freezer method of bucket storage. Just wondering others opinions/experiences.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been amazed at the things you can actually do with the wheat berries, anyone else use them for something other than flour for bread?
popped wheat (crunchy snack or salad topper)
salads
sprouts
etc
etc

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
How do you pop wheat? Oh and another question...I'm telling you I don't know one grain from another or anything about them....five roses is my best friend, and every thing else is for the animals:>)
But back to my question...is Barley wheat? I have a bag of barley (whole grains, not pearled) in my shed. Is that wheat?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
Beekissed said:

Ok, I am going to hijack a little. How do you store your wheat? Did you buy pre-sealed vacuumed or did you do it yourself? I recently purchased 50# of hard white winter wheat and I am not sure if I want to use freezer method of bucket storage. Just wondering others opinions/experiences.
This wheat was sealed up in metal #35 containers for the Y2K thingy. I was blessed to receive it from a man at our church whose wife didn't want to make any homemade bread. He also gave me a wheat grinder! Needless to say, the man gets a loaf each time I make bread! ;) My Mom says its much more fresh and makes better bread than what she buys from the health food store.