Do you grind your own flour from whole grains?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Whole wheat flour needs to go right in the freezer. The strong taste associated with ww is actually the oils going rancid. The freezer will slow this down. Use it up as quickly as you can. This is one reason why some of us get into grinding our own, eventually.

I have had some success in the past in storing white flour in a plastic bucket that came from a donut shop, some kind of donut filling, like jelly, came in it. The lid snaps on SOOOO tightly that it takes some doing to get it off each time, and that is probably why it stored the flour so well. In smaller amounts, I store all kinds of stuff in gallon glass jars with lids with some kind of rubber (imagine the cardboard in the lid of some mayo jars....not the right type of lid for longer storage. Let's in air.)

How long do you want to store it?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We use those large, clear tubs that Sam's Club sells pretzels in...you know the type? They are wonderful and I've never had any kind of weevil problem when I store in these containers. I used to put my left over fresh ground flour in the freezer, but now I just put it where I always do~under the sink in the cool and dark.

When I use the freezer, I have to wait so long for the flour to get room temps and it doesn't do well when chilled. My best bread comes from whole wheat straight out of the grinder~nice and warm!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Whole wheat flour that is bouoght is not 100% whole wheat as they have to remove the endo sperm so it does not go rancid sitting on a shelf, so storage in a glass or plastic container is not a problem. Wheat flour will go stale faster than white in your pantry too. But an air tight container is your best bet for storing it in. Or you can store them in the freezer too, it just depends on your personal preference. If you do grind your own it is 100% whole wheat you get & the endo sperm has oils in it, so it can go rancid fast on you if not put into the freezer & stored there. I grind a large quantity at a time & place in ziploc bags & store in the freezer all I do is measure out the desired amt of flour & put it in a bowl to reach room temp before using it in a recipe.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Whole wheat flour that is bouoght is not 100% whole wheat as they have to remove the endo sperm so it does not go rancid sitting on a shelf, so storage in a glass or plastic container is not a problem.
SERIOUSLY??? Yet more fraudulent behavior on the part of the food industry. I had no idea. Some must be left, because it is still bitter, very bitter, compared to freshly ground flour.

Sheesh. Ya learn something new every day.....another reason to be more and more ss!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The germ is still in there & that has some to do with te taste too. Not to mention when they bleach the flour it changes the taste too. Did you know that they remove almost all the nutrients in flour when they bleach it & the the "enrichment" only puts back small amts of only 6 nutrients?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so I have a question. If using hard white wheat do you get the look of white flour but the nutrients of grinding your own fresh? I am thinking about ordering some white wheat but I don't want to get stuck with 50lbs of something I cant use. Oh can you also make good wheat berries with white wheat? Any advice?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
It will not be pure white like you get from the store because it is not bleached, but you will get a more whiter flour with all the benefits of "whole".

Wheat berries are actually the kernals of wheat you get when you order the wheat. Not sure what you are asking on that one.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't think the wheat kernels turned into "berries" until you boiled them. I guess I am just confused with the terminology. But thank you.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Berries & kernels are the same thing, it just depends on what you call them I guess. When I was taught about grinding & whole wheat baking my instructor called them berries & the organic Co we order from in OR calls them berries in their catalog. You amy be on their delivery route. Azure Standard Website is www.azurestandard.com check them out, their prices are reasonable & if your group meets the monthly minmum you have no shipping charges. I know they deliver to several places in CA.