Do you grind your own flour from whole grains?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, I give up, what is red turkey wheat?

Oh, and no, barley is not wheat. The feed barley I have does not look like anything I would want to grind, it still has lots of hull and some beard attached. If we were desparate I would dip into it, for now, it can get turned into milk and eggs! You need to get a threshed version, which has the outer hull removed but the bran coat still intact. I can still get it from Whole Foods here, and it is available online, but I don't use much of it other than in soups. Does anyone here grind it for anything?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
How do you pop wheat? Oh and another question...I'm telling you I don't know one grain from another or anything about them....five roses is my best friend, and every thing else is for the animals:>)
But back to my question...is Barley wheat? I have a bag of barley (whole grains, not pearled) in my shed. Is that wheat?
mind you I have never done it because I just got the wheat berries, but here is the recipe I found I am going to try.

Take 1 cup soaked and cooked whole wheat kernels (cooked just about 30 minutes -- not until split) and drain very well. (You may even wish to dry it off with a towel.)

Heat cooking oil to 360 degrees. Deep fry a small portion at a time, about 6 tbsp for 30-45 seconds or until golden brown and popping sound is done.

Immediately remove from oil with a strainer and place on a paper towel to cool.

The wheat will not pop like popcorn, in fact some kernels may not pop at all but will be very crispy and golden.

Season to taste with salt, onion salt, garlic salt, barbecue salt, or dust with powdered ranch dressing. Cool completely and store in a glass jar. If desired, add to dried fruit and chocolate chips for a great trail mix!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thanks for all the infor and answering my crazy questions! Now we have to go back to figuring out which varieties to buy ... for freemotion:>)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Actually, there is a lot of info on the link that sufficientforme gave...and that site seems to have decent prices, grain shipped in storage pails, very low shipping. The only drawback is the minimum order for the low shipping is $200, but I may be able to split an order with someone, I think it might be worth it to get the proper pails without trying to get them elsewhere. Still thinking.

I may end up giving up on my pasta quest, I don't think I want 50# of specialized flour....I probably won't make that much filled-type pasta. In my lifetime. In two of my lifetimes.

I am leaning towards soft white wheat for pastry and hard white for bread....has anyone tried hard red vs hard white for bread?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I wish I could get more specific, but I'm getting freshly ground wheat from a cousin in exchange for our eggs. Their variety is a winter wheat. When ground, it's more like pastry flour, which is how I use it--batter breads, waffles, pancakes and muffins.

I've really enjoyed sprouted wheat bread in the past. Here's the recipe in case anybody wants to give it a try :)

I will enjoy following this conversation, as bulk buying of grains is one thing I have not dabbled in yet. Gotta keep moving along that continuum, you know!

Sprouted Wheat Bread--This recipe is for a breakmaker, but you pro breadmakers will know how to adapt it for hand-made use.

cup sprouted wheat berries, ground
cup buttermilk
1 egg
2 T maple syrup
t salt
1/3 t baking soda
2 T gluten
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 t yeast

Rinse cup wheat berries in cool water, drain soak in cool water in large bowl. Cover with cloth and allow to soak at room temp overnight or 12 hours. Drain. Cover colander with plate to prevent from drying out. Rinse about 3 times per day until sprouted. Assemble in bread maker. Add sprouts in add-in portion of bread maker.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I will be trying that one....do you grind the sprouted berries moist or do you dry them somehow first?