Do you grind your own flour from whole grains?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I actually just chop it while "green" and moist on a cutting board with a knife.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I accquired 2 50# buckets of hard red wheat berries @ a yard sale & I use it for bread. I bought a 50# bag of soft white wheat berries for other baking & cooking(pastry flour). I did make bread from the soft & it was good, but not quite what we like for wheat bread(although it was a softer bread slice). I have a hand grinder & my brother brings over his vitamix occasionaly & grinds a big batch for me to put in the freezer. In return when I bake things I call him & he comes & picks up a treat. I have been looking for durum wheat for pasta too, but have not found any localy yet.
Oh barley can be used for a multitude of things, but I have been told it has a harsher taste than red wheat.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I bought organic red turkey wheat and ground about 5 lbs.
I made the most fascinating starter from it called Desem.
It's flour and water kneaded into a ball and buried within the fresh ground flour. It is correctly placed in a crock and placed in the coolest and shadiest part of a woodlands for a several weeks. The natural yeast found on the hulls of the wheat berries and that in the woodlands make the most magnificent bread. If your yeast ball smells sour, it's no good and start again.
I love the notion of a forest contributing to a bread. I think it is the woodland humidity level that makes this successful, though.
At one point in winter I used a cold upstairs room with good results.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
In the Omnivore's Dilemma, Michael Pollan describes "trapping" natural yeast in the atmosphere for making his own sourdough bread for a dinner party. Sounds neat!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I tried the unwashed organic grape method last summer with wild grapes.....I grew an amazing crop of fruitflies! But the yeast was obviously working. I was too grossed out to use it, though. At least now I know how if I ever absolutely have to! I also made a traditional sourdough from flour/water. It was VERY sour by the third batch, and I gave it up. It was very good at first, though. Used rye flour.

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I was thinking of ordering soft white wheat next. There are so many varieties to choose from. I hear it is milder in flavor, and better as a pastry flour. Opinions?
It's lower in protein, so it could be a good pastry flour if your grinder does it finely enough, but ours doesn't. And it's not great for bread, at least, my dh hasn't made an edible loaf yet. The pizza (less need for rising) was good, though.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I think I'll order 50# each of hard red and soft white. I use both bread and pastry flour regularly. I got some kamut at Whole Foods to try making pasta with, don't know when I'll have time, but I am anxious to see if it is different from the hard red. I'd love to be able to experiment with filled pastas.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey all, I grind my own wheat as well. I have a BlendTec Blender, kinda like a vita mix. I have only used hard red. Simplylivingsmart is a great site and they have a ton of info. Store what you use and Use what you store. :) Including the popped wheat recipe. Some things to do with the wheat.

-Make wheat berries, the perfect topping for yogurt. My son eats for breakfast lunch etc...

-Grow wheat grass... easiest thing in the world. Trim with scissors and add to your smoothies. Instant Live food.

-I tried the popped wheat for salads. It never really popped. I was waiting for it to act like corn. I think it needs some really zesty seasoning if your going to do it.

I have also ground my own corn meal. I posted a long time ago about it. I fund some popping corn rather cheap so I gave it a try. Turned out great. When making my corn bread I put the corn meal through the sifter to get out any little crunchies that did not grind. There is a recipe around here somewhere that uses yogurt, it is great.

I have the Make your own mixes cook book from Be Prepaired.com so I have made my own waffle pancake mix etc.. With home ground flour. Such a fresh taste.

Does anyone have any expierence with hand grinders. I have been eying a couple but want one to last the duration. Any suggestions?