Do you grind your own flour from whole grains?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I have a cheap cast iron hand grinder that I'm very happy with. I bought it for the Y2K. I don't use it daily so I don't wear down the burrs very often. It's a Molino Victoria Corona.

It is a lot of work but a friend is going to convert my old exercise bike to power it by running a pipe from the wheel axle to the hole for the handle of the mill. His works great, so I'm ready to hop back on the bike for exercise and flour.

I've done wheat, corn and oats with my grinder. I have to put them through several times to get finer flour and then sift the large particles out.

I watch for the hand grinding mills at yard sales and flea markets. I don't see them much anymore, but those I've seen are barely used.

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wheat cannot be found anywhere in my area of the country. Could someone give reliable online sources?

I was able to pick up a large bag of wheat while visiting Tennessee this summer, thankfully.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Home Maker said:
Wheat cannot be found anywhere in my area of the country. Could someone give reliable online sources?

I was able to pick up a large bag of wheat while visiting Tennessee this summer, thankfully.
Sufficientforme told me about www.honeyvillegrain.com which is probably where I will order from. There are other sites that ship in the proper pails with liners and the oxygen thingy, but for a fair amount more. Honeyville's shipping is under $5 no matter what you order. The shipping costs are built into the prices.

If you get to TN even yearly, you can plan ahead in the future.....I'm jealous! I would come home with a carload of stuff!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Where do you live??? I know of a couple sources but they cost way more than they should.

Beprepaired.com has stuff allready sealed in the 5 gallon buckets but I think they are a little spendy. I am sure someone around here has a better source. G

See I knew someone would know!!!:D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Try your local natural foods stores and see if they can order for you so the shipping will be less.

Call a college to find a local co-op and buy through them, which ended up being my only source.

Call the organizer of the farmers markets to see if anyone has banded together to buy in bulk. We have a lot of people who bake and sell at these so they must be getting the wheat/flour someplace.

Ask a restaurant if they could include a sack in the order.

Ask a senior center that prepares food if you could piggy back an order with them.

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I live on the Alabama/Mississippi line. I do know of one health food store that will order it for me, but the price is so high! That's the closest thing to a natural food store. If you mean a food co-op, there is no such thing here. If you mean a farmer's co-op, I didn't think they had anything but the animal grade (treated) wheat.

The trip to Tennessee made me want to go back this coming summer! I visited an Amish store and was able to buy wheat and some other "different" things. And actually, I am nowhere near running out, but I have only ever been able to buy hard red wheat and would like to try others and stock up, too. I have a few extra food pails on hand already.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Does anyone have any expierence with hand grinders. I have been eying a couple but want one to last the duration. Any suggestions?
I have a back to basics & only have to put the wheat thru once to grind it into useable flour. I only paid $50 for it too, I think they are a little bit more now though. It clamps onto the edge of a counter or table. I have had mine for 2 yrs now it still works great.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have seen a few of those sell on e bay, not quite full price. I will keep my eyes open for another. g

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
sylvie said:
It is a lot of work but a friend is going to convert my old exercise bike to power it by running a pipe from the wheel axle to the hole for the handle of the mill. His works great, so I'm ready to hop back on the bike for exercise and flour.
I will have to ask dh if he can do that with mine too.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I see the prices for the flour on the beprepared site is not too different for local flour, but shipping is an issue. Is there a way to store flour I buy that way that will last longer? I have 25lbs of white and wheat flour, but it is only in plastic containers.