Do you grow fruit trees or berry bushes?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Holy moly, 400 blueberries bushes do you own a u-pick or sell your berry’s?

The previous owner of this farm was trying to establish a u-pick. We may be forced to do that as they continue to mature. We might do farmer's market or sell canned products under cottage industry laws. IDK, we'll cross that bridge when we get there!

They're high-bush blueberries, so they will get about 6 feet tall. They're about 4 feet tall and only 25 plants (one row) that is older produces very well. It's still overwhelming! We've been here 4 years and last year was the first that I was able to prune all of them. Fortunately, at least 1/4 of them are still young enough they don't get pruned.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We still need to plant our fruit and berries. Needed to see the land for a year first so I didn't plop them in a terrible spot. But I'm still not sure where everything should go, so I think we'll just buy a few things this year and stick them somewhere!

Wild black raspberries grow around the property, but that's about it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some wild beauty berry bushes that have come about in the last 2 yrs...been here 19 yrs, so birds had to have helped. I haven't known they were here long enough to do anything but, the jelly sounds like I may give it a try. Really eat very little jelly so couple jars would be fine. Lots of wild blackberries on my land.

Would love to give blueberries another go but between goats & chickens, it's been hard. Have a plum tree. 3 Apple trees planted yrs ago and horses ravaged those when about 8' tall. :idunno Kinda gave up. BUT being only one here to eat the fruits I find the ones I bring home from store generally suffice. I get plenty of leftovers from sampling demos. Do love to make dried apple rings! Friend has 2 huge fig trees and she gives the fruit to me, which I dehydrate. YUMMY!! I give her eggs. :) (she & her DH don't want the figs :rolleyes:)

Guy behind me planted about 60-70 apple & peach trees. So far the deer are loving the fruits of his labor & leave few for him. :p Guess I'm lucky not to have the trees for them to visit. They already use my lower pastures to bed down at night quite often. The woods are close by.

Devonviolet

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I plan to dehydrate many of my figs, and will also make fig jam.

I have a secret recipe, from my neighbor (up the road from us) who died a couple years ago at the age of 96. It is called Janie's Fig Cake. She made one, and brought it to welcome us "to the neighborhood". I made one, to sell at our Fall Bake Sale, and sold it for $20!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler are you just looking for cuttings? Are you going to root them yourself? If so I can send you some apple, pear, and fig. Otherwise I can try getting one of my fig sprouts (probably the wrong word) with roots. Just let me know.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I spent yesterday morning removing dead weeds, and dead canes from blackberry patch. It should've been done a long time ago, but that's what happens when you put everything on hold for four years. I do have plenty of canes to bear this year, and they are hardy so I expect they will come back well. I rediscovered some rhubarb that I was pretty sure had been killed out. I am marking it to move in the fall.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have two fig trees, two persimmon trees, 3 lemon trees, 1 lime, and a pomegranate tree. The lemon trees and the fig trees produce more than we can use. Love it!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have fig, Asian pear, 1 lime tree, and 1 apple tree producing. 2 lime, 1 olive, 5 apple, a pawpaw, and a peach tree not producing yet.

Scupernong and muscadine grapes producing. Blueberries and blackberries just starting to produce.
Black walnut and pecan trees producing but need fertilizing and care.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Britesea , what do you use the chokecherries for? We had those as a kid, but mainly used them to trick friends...

FEM, I'd grow a pomegranate just for my mom. She lived many years in southern California as a kid, and loved them. I hadn't even thought of them, but I might be too far north.