Do you grow fruit trees or berry bushes?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@milkmansdaughter the only thing I've done with the chokecherries is make a jam with it, but I've seen recipes for making juice or syrup or vinegar with them, and also using the juice to make a chokecherry tart. Chokecherries are very closely related to black cherries

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When we were kids mom always gave us a shot of blackberry brandy if we had stomach cramps or were sick...

My favorite jelly/jam is beet jelly, and it's a gorgeous color. Mom always made it with strawberry. Sorry, I don't have a recipe.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you guys are making me jealous. No more excuses! I have more than enough wood chips to start a bte orchard. It's time to get in gear

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@mythreesons290322 the crab apple liqueur tastes like apple, but more intense. I tried making liqueur using sweet apples and it was very bland- the crabapple and the quince were both apple-y and a bit tart. I think the sweet apple would have been better with some spice added, like a cinnamon stick or 3

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
you guys are making me jealous. No more excuses! I have more than enough wood chips to start a bte orchard. It's time to get in gear
Makes two of us! Especially when I read about all these yummy things they are making with the produce. I love berries and miss having fruit trees, but until I am on my own property, I'm not keen to buy and plant too many bushes and trees that I may not stick around long enough for to see the produce.

Devonviolet

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Friend has 2 huge fig trees
Oh yes, I forgot my fig tree. That was the first tree I bought after we moved here. I LOVE figs! I have, since my neighbor, in Lake Worth, TX, let me pick everything I could reach over the chain link fence between us. I got our 6 foot ladder and reached as far as I could. Those were some yummy figs!!!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OK. PM your address to me. And I hope you'll take lots of pictures and post them here. I think there an old post here about starting your own trees.