Do You Like Where Your At...?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Keeping in mind I am from Wisconsin, "city" and "Medford" are not 2 words I think of as going together! :gig

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not diggin' Kansas, but I've been saying that for years. I'm originally from the Denver, CO area. My biggest complaint here is the wind. But friendly people and a good place to raise your kids - around here, anyway. Decent enough growing season, decent soil, well water..life's good.

I'll bloom where I'm planted before I move to ANY city. Only one kid left in the state, so if she moves, we'll have to move to be close to one of them, anyway.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:gig

I had a high school Journalism teacher that used to make the class write practice stories about "The Bevent Home for the Socially Insignificant"!
:lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
to answer your question, see my user name :p. I don't mind where we are now. I am getting used to the wind (after 4 years), getting used to the clay. but love the being in the country on the edge of a small town. We have no real issues here, except according to Koxx's map, we are farily close to two american nuclear reactors, but not in the evacuation area.

If I had my way though, I would be back up north in a heartbeat. either back up near Timmins, or around Sault St Marie, ON.

Maybe someday....... Until then I will make th most of what we have here.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Icu4dzs sez..." Been to Maine.Nice place, i could work there but the folks with no jobs are struggling to stay alive. They don't need more folk to take up the available resoures."

Well, thats an interesting observation..:) Did you consider the possibility that some with a little money, may even help create some jobs for those struggling to stay alive in Maines..? Maine is pretty well known for it potatoes. Just like where i live on Long Is.Who's to say i can't buy a small Maine farm and grow/sell potatoes and perhaps garlic,creating work for a coupe unemployed guys.I have been very successful growing both.Not everyone may be thinking of going to Maine looking for a hand out, of there availble resoures, ya know..? I'm also good at making white clam sauce and baked stuffed clams..I may be able to tap into the abundant hard clam flats and help the local economny by buying clams from local baymen and doing my thing .I grew up harvesting and eating some of the best seafood on the eastern seaboard.I think with 45 yrs experience with shellfish under my belt, i may know a little about the subject.So their you have it, some new blood and ideas in Maine may help improve life for some of those struggling folks...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
ORChick, So where abouts in Germany did you live?
Moved to Cologne when I was 21 to teach English in a private language school. Then I met my future (and present :p) DH, and after 3 years became homesick, and dragged him back to California with me.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am very happy where I am and have no intentions on leaving. I love it here in the mountains. The living is simple,fairly cheap, and the taxes are low. The weather isn't bad,..no major issues like tornadoes, earthquakes or hurricanes,..just maybe a little flooding occasionally or a few feet of snow,..nothing to worry over. Plus we are always prepared,.. for anything. :D

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Lived in Virginia...the people are horrid there...still fighting the Civil War and all they want is for you to leave your money and go away. If you weren't born there, they don't recognize your existence.
:hit You mean it's OVER! Who won?????? :lol:

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I will put a plug in for my home state of IN. :lol:

The southern part of the state are really beautiful-rolling farm land, rivers and forests. The central and northern parts have some nice spots, but a little flat for my taste.

The only natural disasters we typically have are small tornados and occasional flooding along the rivers. (Like right now!) Decent growing season, with OK winters.

By and large, we have a good state government and a governor who gets that you have to live within your means. Typically Hoosiers are a conservative group, as long as you avoid the metro areas and cities with universities in them.

The state has a great Dept of Natural Resources, which has many educational and recreational opportunities at little or no cost.

I can be in a good size metropolitian area with arts, sports and top notch medical facilities or absolutely in the sticks in about 1 hour.

Land is reasonable compared to other regions, but still a little high, IMHO.