Do you save your bacon fat?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I use it in salad dressings...especially ceasar salad...I also use it in pasta. Stir fry veggies, add cooked pasta and bacon grease...yummmm! I pour it in with the dog food as a treat during winter.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I use it in salad dressings...especially ceasar salad...I also use it in pasta. Stir fry veggies, add cooked pasta and bacon grease...yummmm! I pour it in with the dog food as a treat during winter.
Ooohhh,, explain how you use it in caesar salad dressing please?? Sound yummy.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We make a ceasar salad dressing with egg yolk, oil/bacon fat, red wine vinegar, worchestersire sauce and just use the bacon fat as part of the oil. I don't have the actual recipe...it is my hubby's concoction...but you should be able to use it in your recipe by just mixing it in with the oil part of the dressing

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use it to start bean-y soups if it's around... saute the onions and carrots and whatever in the bacon fat, then add everything else and make soup.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Ewww!! How long did that take? Curious--b/c mins bn in there for a few months. I just added to it yesterday.
I think probably about 2-3 months. Yuck!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes I save for the dogs---well when I had the dogs :(

do not cook with bacon grease. Don't know why, just don't.

Only time I use bacon is to eat it plain, or put it in baked beans. No other bacon uses really.

Now I put in a jar I have and when full I toss. Also don't make it often.

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know alot of people think it's disgusting, but I've always saved mine in a teacup in the fridge. My grandmother used it for lots of things, and I do as well....below are some of those things...

1. I use a tablespoon to make breakfast gravy when I don't have any meat.
2. It's great in green beans and soup beans both.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I;d suggest saving it in small containers, not big jars, b/c it starts to go rancid after a few months. Small containers allows 'inventory rotation' so to speak. I use custard cups. Dont' even cover them - I figure why? it's solid and not inclined to go bad.

I use little dabs of it fairly frequently in cooking. Yum :) It's not for those who're watching their salt intake tho :p

I would be cautious trying to use it in bread. Yeast is pretty salt-sensitive. At the very least, you'd want to cut down (or out?) the salt in the recipe if you used bacon grease. Might taste good in, like, chili-cheese bread or something like that, tho.

JMO,

Pat

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, I save it. I use it for mainly frying breakfast stuff. You all have great ideas. Thanks for sharring.

Oh my favorite, Wilted Spinach Salad. Or at least the dressing.:D

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i save mine in the freezer. I love it on fried beans or cabbage and fried eggs. I have a story about bacon grease, when i was a kid me and my brothers and daddy were out in the creek wading and getting river rocks for a patio, well we herd the dog go to hollering and running and saw a cotton mouth beside where she was and the snake had bitten her on the snout and she swole up fast. we took her home and daddy force fed her a cooking of bacon lard and the next day she was back to normal. she only had 2 hard lumps where the fangs hit her snout bone. daddy said it neutralizes the poison in the bite and made her throw up alot. so i guess its good to keep around just in case you have an animal get bit by a snake.

Latest posts