Do you wear long skirts?

LittleRoosterCroft

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Interesting topic. I have worn long skirts nearly all the time for the past 25 years or more (I am forty now). I never really liked jeans, still don't, although I do have a couple pair now for work...mucking around in the wetlands and such. I wear simple cotton pants for hiking and nothing beats sweat pants for working the homestead! Though I have done nearly everything in a sturdy skirt...it is more the messing up my nice clothes that has me wear pants doing certain activities outside.

When I do wear pants at work - like when I am heading into the field - people stop in the hallway and stare at me...they stare because I am NOT in a long skirt!:p

Oh and I do wear cotton leggings under my skirts in the winter and sometimes shorts (like the exercise stretchy type) in the really hot summer so I don't get the sweaty thigh thing going like some have mentioned on here....I have thought about making simple cotton loose pants like "bloomers".

I have only ever been complimented on my skirts...not sure what kind of office would be rude enough to make fun of someone in conservative nice looking clothing?

LittleRoosterCroft

Power Conserver
Reaction score
dfr1973 said:
CheerioLounge said:
but on the mainland people frown upon men in "skirts."
There's always the Utili-Kilt. Personally, I like guys in kilts ... but I still haven't convinced hubby to try one yet.
Oh and yeah, Utili-kilts.... *ahem*....definitely like a guy in a "skirt"! :drool

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a really versatile wrap around skirt pattern. You can use it with any fabric, it lays nicely and will fit any size figure because you custom make it for your own measurements. And it can be as long or short as you want it to be. Works for both women and girls.

WrapSkirtPattern.jpg

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LittleRoosterCroft said:
Though I have done nearly everything in a sturdy skirt...
THAT'S what I heard too.

Oh and I do wear cotton leggings under my skirts in the winter and sometimes shorts (like the exercise stretchy type) in the really hot summer so I don't get the sweaty thigh thing going like some have mentioned on here....
YESSS! Excellent idea. Thanks for bringing it up.

I have thought about making simple cotton loose pants like "bloomers".
The skirt pattern I am starting with is from the historical line of Butterick patterns. I have a Simplicity costume/historical pattern that has a corset and those bloomers. I am planning on making them in cotton for the same sweaty thigh crappola.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol, its kinda funny cause when i realy think about it, most summer i spend every weekend in a long skirt, true its usually tucked up and showing off my bloomers but as a renny lol...
now bloomers i like...and wrap pants!

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I, for one, am excited about this new venture of mine. I'm amassing fabric. Now if only to get ta sewin'. I have a "new" [as in new to me] treadle sewing machine that is intimidating the heck outta me. Geesh, it's only wood, metal, and leather. :rolleyes:

LittleRoosterCroft

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I so need to find time to work on some new skirts and "bloomers" or whatever. I have some fabric but just not the time with working full time, going to school nearly full time and running the homestead by myself. But...this thread has inspired me a again...lets see if I can at least get my fabric organized this weekend!

Lee&Lyric...post pics when you get some made!

- Kitty
LittleRoosterCroft

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LittleRoosterCroft said:
Lee&Lyric...post pics when you get some made! - KittyLittleRoosterCroft
And you know it! They'll be at our website. I'll have to make a category "textiles" or some such. I'll let you know. :lol:

Lyric

Northed

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Do I wear long skirts?
It depends on if I'm up for it. When it rains, they get rather annoying, but I have nothing against a nice, not too flowery number.
I generally don't wear skirts though, I'm more of a trousers person.