Does this freak you out?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
I believe we are being given signs about where we are headed. You know the old saying that states "he who does not know history. . . is doomed to repeat it." We are following down the path of the Weimar Republic (with slight variatrions) also Zimbabwe comes to mind.Many Americans are arrogant enough to think it cant happen here. I believe they are wrong.
I agree completely. Every fiat currency collapse has been caused by excessive debt, followed by the respective government printing money to buy its' own debt. Last year the U.S., through the Federal Reserve and other U.S. government entities, purchased 80% of our own debt. Without a massive withdrawal of currency from circulation and an extreme rise in interest rates, I believe the dollar will be toast (and may be regardless).

I would LOVE to be proved wrong on this. :(

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yeah, me too. If I am wrong and I prep, what is the downside? None that I can see. I can go through the stash and keep the stock rotated. If something looks like it might go bad before I can use it, I can always donate it to the food pantry. No biggie. No downside.

If I am right and I prep.... NO DOWNSIDE!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I agree, where is the downside if we prep? Where is the downside to learning new skills, or even becoming more 'green'? Heck after watching the nimrods in the hotel lobby this morning trying to fix their own breakfast, I can see nothing but 'upside' to becoming SS! :rolleyes:

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
For those who still not convinced, here is some more reading from today's news. This is a mild, not so gloom and doom, article.

"It's not clear when the debt's day of reckoning will arrive. But the overall national debt over the next few years will rise to 100 percent of the gross domestic product a level viewed as alarming by the International Monetary Fund and international economists."

US debt will keep growing even with recovery

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
OK - once more into the breach. Please read what I say.
I believe in having enough stored to meet emergency needs, even if the emergency lasts a relatively long time. I also want to be able to do whatever I can on my own without having to rely on someone to come save me. I want to live well with less.
Having said that, I also believe in doing something to help situations, not just for myself but for others. I believe in civic duty. The idea of independence on a personal level and participating in a larger way are not mutually incompatible. This forum is an opportunity to participate in helping others and being helped.
A constant harping on the worse possible things that might go wrong, no matter how unlikely, creates an environment where nothing gets fixed because it can't be seen where things could get better. It is much more uplifting and useful to have ideas on dealing with problems. Even if your answer is store more, then help people to learn better ways. If you see a financial disaster, what do you do to cope as well as can be done.
IMO too much of this forum is taken up with repeating doom scenarios, with seeking confirmation of already held opinions. It crowds out anything of material help. It ends with with a long series of posts in which posters keep repeating stories about how others are too incompetent to see the "truth". This truth is nothing more than things go wrong. Well- duh. Yes- they do- eventually bad things happen- can't go wrong with looking for the worst as the worst can always be found.
I don't subscribe to all Free's food ideas, but I have learned and thought more about her ideas and have used them is some ways. It was helpful as are Dace's questions and thoughts and Beekissed's adventures, and many more people and thoughts.

So if there are going to be endless posting about disaster, then at least include something useful. If you haven't got anything good to say, don't say it.

Ok- let the bashing begin. Again.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Huh????

Are we even reading on the same forum?

We have HOW TOs all over the place, people listing what they make and how they do it, people asking for help and getting many answers... We have our freezing, drying, smoking, canning threads.... personal threads about chickens and sheep and cute baby goats....

Of course threads here and there pop up about disaster preparation. There is a catagory specifically listed as EMERGENCY PREP if I recall correctly. It is not a majority of the threads at all. You have out seek them out...ON PURPOSE!

If you think we are negative nut jobs, why would you go in to every disaster prep thread and comment in the first place? I don't get it.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I guess I don't see that at all OTR, there are over 4,500 threads on SS, and there are only 126 in the emergency preparedness section. I'm sure a few are under the 'Everything Else' area, but I guess I don't think there are quite THAT many.

I think, in this age, when there are SO many known causes of harmful things, and when almost anything could go awry at any given time, it gives a lot of people closure and security to be prepared and wonder about what could happen and if they are prepared enough, and they like sharing that with others of like mind. I typically do not even read these sort of threads but the title pulled me in.

No bashing here OTR, just hugs. :hugs

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Huh????

If you think we are negative nut jobs, why would you go in to every disaster prep thread and comment in the first place? I don't get it.
Why do you persist in stating that I am name calling when the only time I see the words "nut jobs" or similar things is when you bring them up? That really drags the conversation way down.

The point is that I do prepare for emergencies. I'm interested in hearing what others do. Again the point isn't even that I disagree with the idea of a social collapse or devastating ecomnomic issue.

Mostly I have ignored them- this one caught my attention due to the title- then I made the mistake of reading the link. It just ticked me off to see extra stress thrown onto a situation that is already difficult for many and to no useful purpose and no real basis.

So I will not come back to this post again- I have already violated my own beliefs that many people have made up their minds on things like this theory and are not interested in hearing other view points. They are looking only for confirmation from others of what they already believe.

This thread will probably be shut down- which since it was a political thread from the beginning should have happened a long time ago.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I guess I didn't find it political, but I did find useful info. Iread and post on these threads because many people here mention things that I may have forgotten. I do find these posts useful, and I also find the articles a big help, since I usually don't have the time or patience to dig through the internet for these topics. I'm glad people bring them up, and I'm glad when people respond. I like the different takes on how people are prepared, or are preparing. I get ideas, and it also gives me more to consider.

I'm sorry you see it as a bad thing :( I usually enjoy reading what you post. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
...since it was a political thread from the beginning should have happened a long time ago.
Not political at all. It is just a discussion of a possible economic crisis, that if it does indeed occur, would affect us all. This scenario has been forty years in the making, or even eighty years depending on how you look at it. There's no single political group that could be singled out, even if someone wanted to.

I would think that part of the reason some of us read the threads in the "Emergency Preparedness" section, is to understand what may happen, so that we can better prepare. If you would rather not participate in this type of thread, then you certainly don't have to. However, it is nice to have dissenting points of view. They help us re-evaluate our own positions and and look at things from another perspective. YMMV

Latest posts